Convince Me to WAIT to Order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a Gen 2 and sold it at the top of the 2021 used car market. Want to get into a 2022 Gen 3 35 (don't offroad much and the 37 is surely slower). I'm tempted to put in an order and my dealer said 4-5 months from order to arrival. That's fine but I'm wondering if the Gen 3s are showing up with any issues due to low production, or supply and labor issues.

Mostly want to know if there's anything consistent that people are finding wrong with these trucks. When the Gen 2 came out, 2017 trucks had teething issues that were better on the 2018s. Usually I'd feel save going with the second MY but the low supply and industry issues have me wondering if I should wait a while longer.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as finding things wrong, check out the “Things to check…” sticky thread. That should give you a general assessment of what members are finding and a few trends.

You only have to convince yourself!

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just order it, life’s too short to wait years for a seasoned model year that may or may not have better quality control.. Warranties exist, and you can always trade up in the future.

Food for thought. If you ordered two weeks ago you would’ve saved $1,200. I doubt Ford is going to move base prices down lol.

cadurham88

Reaction score
I've had my Gen3 for three weeks and put 700 miles on it. I had an order in since Nov 2021 (no VIN), but found one for $5k over MSRP and bought it then cancelled the order. My two cents, if you can buy something close to MSRP do that. Unless the ordering process significantly changes...you may get a raptor within 6 months or not at all.

As for the truck itself, the only issue was the rain sensing wipers weren't working, but Ford pushed thru a system update (without me initiating anything) that corrected the problem. Check out the things to check tread as well. The only item I found was the plastic wrap still around the Fox Shocks, minor item.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my loaded 801a leadfoot on December 30th. I negotiated the deal for a dealer ordered model the first week of July (believe the order was placed for it June 18th). Got more than I paid in trade credit for my Gen 2 and the Gen 3 was purchased for msrp. I’d say either jump on a msrp deal just as soon as you can find it….or find a place that will let you order a 2023 at msrp and be the first in line. At the rate raptors get updated it will be mid cycle refresh time by then. Haha.

The new Gen 3 is really great though. I find myself making excuses to drive anywhere for any reason right now. I have a few paint issues that I’ve found that the dealership will have fixed (their body shop does great work). My 2019 bedsides had to be fixed due to factory paint issues, their shop took care of me then as well. Nothing else substantial that I’ve noticed (a few rubber bands, some plastic on the shocks, fuses half pushed in). Certainly haven’t noticed anything that would make me regret the purchase. I get permagrin as soon as I see it everyday. I believe it feels quite a bit different than the Gen 2…but like you I traded mine in July…so not exactly back to back comparisons.

My only real complaint is that shifter. It feels incredibly cheap. Hate it. Otherwise, the fit and finish is much better than my Gen 2.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Received my loaded 801a leadfoot on December 30th. I negotiated the deal for a dealer ordered model the first week of July (believe the order was placed for it June 18th). Got more than I paid in trade credit for my Gen 2 and the Gen 3 was purchased for msrp. I’d say either jump on a msrp deal just as soon as you can find it….or find a place that will let you order a 2023 at msrp and be the first in line. At the rate raptors get updated it will be mid cycle refresh time by then. Haha.

The new Gen 3 is really great though. I find myself making excuses to drive anywhere for any reason right now. I have a few paint issues that I’ve found that the dealership will have fixed (their body shop does great work). My 2019 bedsides had to be fixed due to factory paint issues, their shop took care of me then as well. Nothing else substantial that I’ve noticed (a few rubber bands, some plastic on the shocks, fuses half pushed in). Certainly haven’t noticed anything that would make me regret the purchase. I get permagrin as soon as I see it everyday. I believe it feels quite a bit different than the Gen 2…but like you I traded mine in July…so not exactly back to back comparisons.

My only real complaint is that shifter. It feels incredibly cheap. Hate it. Otherwise, the fit and finish is much better than my Gen 2.
I feel my carbon fiber gen2 shifter feels cheap.… how bad could the gen 3 be?

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel my carbon fiber gen2 shifter feels cheap.… how bad could the gen 3 be?
It feels about as solid as the shifter in my 3 year olds wrangler power wheel.

The Gen 2 shifter is a dream compared to this new piece of crap. You can feel a seam in the plastic and the cheapness of the material with your hand sitting on it. It’s cartoonishly large, and it’s placed closer to the console so it’s not the right distance for me to comfortably let my hand rest on it while driving. Now it’s more of a wrist rest.

All in all, first world problem. I think the fit and finish on the rest of the cab is worlds better than my Gen 2. With everything else seeming to be higher quality/well assembled it just makes the fisher price shifter stand out.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It feels about as solid as the shifter in my 3 year olds wrangler power wheel.

The Gen 2 shifter is a dream compared to this new piece of crap. You can feel a seam in the plastic and the cheapness of the material with your hand sitting on it. It’s cartoonishly large, and it’s placed closer to the console so it’s not the right distance for me to comfortably let my hand rest on it while driving. Now it’s more of a wrist rest.

All in all, first world problem. I think the fit and finish on the rest of the cab is worlds better than my Gen 2. With everything else seeming to be higher quality/well assembled it just makes the fisher price shifter stand out.
It’s basically a big d i l d o, so why not spend as little on it as possible?

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s basically a big d i l d o, so why not spend as little on it as possible?
I don’t follow that reference. P O S….I follow. It feels like two halves of a dollar store Easter egg with a piece of pleather glued on top.

Took the truck out on some snowy/icy forest service roads this afternoon for a couple hours. Happy to report you don’t give a crap about the shifter while you’re skating through turns in the woods.