Constant power to rear outlets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to keep constant power to the rear outlets even when the vehicle is off. I read somewhere that someone was able to do it with Forscan but haven't been able to find out the details. Also in my Jeep grand cherokee there is a multi-position fuse that can be moved in order to provide constant power to the outlet in the rear hatch.

Reason behind wanting to do this is to run a dometic fridge in the back seat when going camping/overlanding.

thanks for your help

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be simpler to just run a fused hot line from the battery. Another idea....to prevent killing your battery, buy one of the jump start boxes to power the refer.

OP
OP
G

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that unless you are going to a dual battery set up.

Do what? run the rear outlet at constant power? Not sure how it would help much considering unless you rewired the car the outlet would still be run off of the main battery and not the "house" battery. i'm trying to decide if the hassle of a dual battery just to run a fridge.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do what? run the rear outlet at constant power? Not sure how it would help much considering unless you rewired the car the outlet would still be run off of the main battery and not the "house" battery. i'm trying to decide if the hassle of a dual battery just to run a fridge.

I meant I would reconsider running a fridge off of your only battery for a long time. I would do something for a secondary power source so you don't get left with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
G

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant I would reconsider running a fridge off of your only battery for a long time. I would do something for a secondary power source so you don't get left with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah i understand, the good thing about the ARB and Dometic is they have safety features that will cut the fridge off if the amps on the battery drop too low. These trucks are also pretty "smart" and the battery monitoring system will cut power to the outlet automatically as well. But i was thinking of getting the dometic battery its smaller and portable so could be used for other things as well and i could plug it into the outlet while driving so it keeps a charge and then when parked at camp it would be the power source for the fridge. just researching options I have an overlanding ecommerce business so luckily have access to it all i was just seeing what different people are running so i could look at options.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah i understand, the good thing about the ARB and Dometic is they have safety features that will cut the fridge off if the amps on the battery drop too low. These trucks are also pretty "smart" and the battery monitoring system will cut power to the outlet automatically as well.

Nice, sorry, I didn't know either of those things. When I saw your post I immediately thought of a lesson I taught myself with my first larger boat that didn't come standard with a dual battery and an isolator switch from factory. Sucks to be having a great time until everything goes dead because your only battery ran down!

OP
OP
G

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, sorry, I didn't know either of those things. When I saw your post I immediately thought of a lesson I taught myself with my first larger boat that didn't come standard with a dual battery and an isolator switch from factory. Sucks to be having a great time until everything goes dead because your only battery ran down!

agreed, I would never rely solely on smart tech. I usually go camping with a jump box of some kind I would hate to get stranded.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also run a Goal Zero Portable Power Station. Pretty small and can tuna fridge for quite some time and then it recharges off the back outlets when the car is on or you could recharge with solar panel.