Console Vault Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NV Paul

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just traded in my Eco Diesel for a 2020 Raptor. Love the truck but it is a little sparse on storage. The Ram had 2 glove boxes and the center console had a top and bottom, so I became a little spoiled. I had a console vault in the Ram in the bottom of the center console but still had a nice area on top for day to day goodies. So now with the Raptor the console vault takes the whole space and you can no longer use a tray organizer. So I shortened the mounting legs 3”. Screwed it all together and I am going to call this good. There is about 1/8” gap all the way around the face but that does not bother me. I know some will say that is less secure, to that I say with battery-powered grinders and cut off wheels any professional thief is in there in less than 30 seconds that latch is getting cut straight through. I think these devices just keep honest people honest. If the gap gets to my OCD, later I will get a piece of flat strap to wrap around it. Now it sits low enough to leave my organizer in. Does an OK job for what I need it to and with the gap I ran my phone charging cable to the bottom of the console 12V outlet.

v1.jpg v2.jpg v3.jpg v5.jpg v4.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s pretty good, but ... I don’t know that I’d call the Rap short on storage. I’ve stuffed my Mac10, and 15 grease gun magazines in the center console, along with a short 12 gauge with room left over.

OP
OP
NV Paul

NV Paul

Reaction score
It's all trade-offs. Perhaps I appreciated the smaller compartments for organizing. The Ram also has really nice compartments in the floor behind the drivers and passengers seats. I kept my work strobe in one and tie-down straps in the other. The raptor has a huge flat floor perfect for rifles or setting boxes or coolers on in the cab. Just observations, there was nowhere to stuff a 12 gauge and a mac 10. I like both trucks and appreciate the differences. I was just thinking if someone wanted to have lockable storage and still have a console organizer it's doable with a gap around it. I am going to seal the gap in mine probably with a nice clean bead of urethane.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
There's something called "caulking cord" which is basically a thin rope of weatherstripping that is commonly used on the edges of windows and aluminum and glass doors. Might be easier (and less messy) than caulking that gap. You can just cut it to size and press it in place.