Considering out of state '21 vs '22

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ando9000

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am soon to be a first time owner. I am upgrading from a '14 tacoma. Long story short, I thought I had an allocation from a family friend in August of 2021 and turns out he had no idea what he was doing with no allocation. Fast forward to January when this was realized and I started scrambling. I found a '22 AMB that was ordered by another customer who backed out that now is reserved for me (out of state). Truck has been in production since 3/24 now on chip hold with no end in sight. The truck will not have the tailgate appliqué (which I did want) as well as the other options that are now not coming standard on '22s (I'm assuming no lighted cup holders, no actual numbers on temp gauge, etc). I recently found an agate black '21 (also out of state - across country) for a similar price that has the appliqué as well as upgraded wheels. The real difference in the two is the '21 has pro power and the '22 has a moonroof. I am not completely attached to either although the moonroof was something I liked. I was going to be flying to the '22 and driving home (probably costing around 2k total) vs. the '21 can be shipped to me directly. Overall, comes out to roughly $3k more for the '21 (due to shipping). Am I crazy to want to get the '21 delivered (enclosed) and avoid even more waiting on the '22? I know this is a personal decision but I just wanted to see others opinions. Thank you!

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am soon to be a first time owner. I am upgrading from a '14 tacoma. Long story short, I thought I had an allocation from a family friend in August of 2021 and turns out he had no idea what he was doing with no allocation. Fast forward to January when this was realized and I started scrambling. I found a '22 AMB that was ordered by another customer who backed out that now is reserved for me (out of state). Truck has been in production since 3/24 now on chip hold with no end in sight. The truck will not have the tailgate appliqué (which I did want) as well as the other options that are now not coming standard on '22s (I'm assuming no lighted cup holders, no actual numbers on temp gauge, etc). I recently found an agate black '21 (also out of state - across country) for a similar price that has the appliqué as well as upgraded wheels. The real difference in the two is the '21 has pro power and the '22 has a moonroof. I am not completely attached to either although the moonroof was something I liked. I was going to be flying to the '22 and driving home (probably costing around 2k total) vs. the '21 can be shipped to me directly. Overall, comes out to roughly $3k more for the '21 (due to shipping). Am I crazy to want to get the '21 delivered (enclosed) and avoid even more waiting on the '22? I know this is a personal decision but I just wanted to see others opinions. Thank you!

I had a 22 ordered end of nov. like you with no allocation. I found a 21 in January and glad I did. even with adm I only paid a couple k more for the 21' then I would have had for the 22 I ordered with the price changes and which probably wouldn't have had been protected. plus I got a few more options on the 21. I jumped on it because I didn't want the uncertainty any more. In my case a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush

OP
OP
A

Ando9000

Reaction score
I had a 22 ordered end of nov. like you with no allocation. I found a 21 in January and glad I did. even with adm I only a few k more for the 21' then I would have had for the 22 I ordered which probably wouldn't have had been protected. plus I got a few more options on the 21. I jumped on it because I didn't want the uncertainty any more. In my case a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush
I agree. I have heard of the 4-12 month chip hold disasters and I just want this process to end sooner if possible and not costing a ton. I am a little weary of buying unseen but I suppose nothing is perfect. I had the dealer do a FaceTime walk around. He is telling me the blue cruise I not included on the invoice. The 801a is costing $6,150 does this seem correct?

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the 21 you get 795 back for blue cruise make sure they reduce the price. or you'll be waiting for the refund as a bunch of us are. the 22 gets 1395 back. they are supposed to be re invoiced with the 801a reflecting the 1395 refund.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my dealer a few times for updates. he said that sometimes the dealer is getting the refund and they're supposed to refund that to the purchaser. but he has checked multiple times with financing and they haven't received it and I should be getting it from ford. If it was me make sure they reduce the price and they can get the refund

OP
OP
A

Ando9000

Reaction score
on the 21 you get 795 back for blue cruise make sure they reduce the price. or you'll be waiting for the refund as a bunch of us are. the 22 gets 1395 back. they are supposed to be re invoiced with the 801a reflecting the 1395 refund.
How can I tell if this is calculated into the window sticker? $6,150 for 801a is what the sticker says with no mention of blue cruise and the dealer is telling me "they didn't put blue cruise in the '21s and started to in '22s." I know this isn't true.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not being attached to either the pro power or the moonroof (although the MR is a nice to have for you), you are not crazy for wanting the 21. Color choice wasn’t a concern of yours so I think you’ll be all the more happier getting the 21.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I tell if this is calculated into the window sticker? $6,150 for 801a is what the sticker says with no mention of blue cruise and the dealer is telling me "they didn't put blue cruise in the '21s and started to in '22s." I know this isn't true.

down on page 43. 1st line of Equiptment group has blue cruise listed on 801 not 800

of the link PriusLover posted it shows everything the raptor has on it.

if it has the 801a it was prepped for it. the 800a doesn't have it.

it should be the 6150 minus the 795 for the 21'. You will have a line item on purchase agreement saying less 795.00 for the blue cruise prep package. it most likely won't be reflecting on the window sticker. only the 22's will have a revised window sticker. the 6150 minus 1395. essentially the 6150 now should say $4755. for the 801a. the dealer doesn't know or is being a little shady. keep their feet to fire. the 795 isn't theirs.

and agreed. go for the 21. with the uncertainty and the missing features on the 22. do it. I don't regret not waiting for the 22 and I got lucky to find a Leadfoot grey.

Last edited:

Rango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a '21 just a couple of weeks back, so that's my vote.

If you look nation wide you can likely find one JUST how you want it. I flew out and got mine and drove it home. ;-)