Considering a COBB TUNE.... Is the transmission tune required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The delay to upshift/downshift after pulling the paddles is so slow!

100% agree here. The paddles are not useable in a 1/4 scenario. If you dont pull the paddle at 5,000 rpm...you bounce off the rev limiter by waiting to close to red line.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir, the Stage 2 Redline package is the fanciest bit of kit that we currently sell for the Raptor. The variety of Stage 2 packages will depend on whether or not the Accessport has or does not have TCM tuning, and whether or not the intake is our normal design or the carbon 'Redline' edition intake.

If Stage 2 power is still not enough, your next best bang-for-the-buck modification would be a custom tune for an ethanol blend fuel. If I recall correctly, Goosetuned put down just over 500WHP with E50 (50% ethanol fuel), an intercooler, and stock fuel system. I don't know what a stock baseline on his dyno is, but it definitely represents good gains over the limitations of 93/91 OCT pump fuel!

Thanks for the info. I am not really looking to go with an ethanol-blend. What about a new exhaust? Would that have any effect or allow for a new tune to push out a few more HP over just your Stage 2 kit? For example:

https://www.roushperformance.com/2019-raptor-35l-performance-pac-level2.html

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yessir, the Stage 2 Redline package is the fanciest bit of kit that we currently sell for the Raptor. The variety of Stage 2 packages will depend on whether or not the Accessport has or does not have TCM tuning, and whether or not the intake is our normal design or the carbon 'Redline' edition intake.

If Stage 2 power is still not enough, your next best bang-for-the-buck modification would be a custom tune for an ethanol blend fuel. If I recall correctly, Goosetuned put down just over 500WHP with E50 (50% ethanol fuel), an intercooler, and stock fuel system. I don't know what a stock baseline on his dyno is, but it definitely represents good gains over the limitations of 93/91 OCT pump fuel!

Beyond that, you can look into upgrading the fueling system to run a higher percentage of ethanol. I don't have any good data on what sort of power gains, if any, are available jumping from E50 to E85, but hopefully one of our Protuners will be able to share some insight. Since the Raptor has both a direct injection system and a port injection system, you can upgrade either one to increase fueling capacity. On the DI side, the HPFP is the weak link - the stock DI injectors will be able to outflow the pump's ability to deliver adequate pressure. Using an aftermarket HPFP will keep pressure higher for longer, and allow you to take full advantage of the stock DI injectors. Alternatively, you could get a set of port injectors to replace the factory units - this will likely be the more economical solution to increasing fueling capability. Some folks swear by running as much DI as possible for best power output and suggest HPFP over PI upgrade, which would seem to make sense, but I'm not aware of a good A-B comparison to say to what extent this is true.

Beyond that, there aren't a lot of turbo options on the market at the moment. Modified stock turbos can make for a nice increase in power over the stock pair. And then with kits like Full Race's EFRs, the sky is the limit (or really, the stock bottom end is the limit). RMB Motorworks has put a lot of time and effort into advancing the Gen2 (and Gen1) 3.5 market for head-work, cams, and sturdy rotating assemblies. Worth a look if only to see some neat parts.

Check the map notes page linked above to see the percentage gains for the 91 OCT OTS maps. We developed these maps to be pretty conservative given the fuel quality in the ACN91 states (Arizona, California, Nevada). I would imagine that a good portion of 91 OCT OTS customers could get away with adding in a little bit of timing to get a bit more power; should you want to, we offer an end-user version of our Accesstuner tuning software that would let you make those timing changes, and gives you a peek under the hood of all that we're changing in our performance maps. I don't think anyone else in the industry gives customers as clear of a look or understanding of what they're changing tune-wise as we do.

Ethanol is not to be avoided, ethanol is your friend! 93 OCT E10 or E15 fuel will out perform 91 OCT E0 fuel, no question. Run the 93 OCT E10 blend fuel with our 93 OCT OTS maps.

Great comment! TONS of good information in your post, thanks!!

I have run E50 as you said, and made 504whp. I am not on E70 and plan to get the truck back on the dyno and go for ‘all of it’. See how much more we can make over E50, if any more power is available.

The stock baseline on this dyno was 365whp, so making 504whp was 139whp gain.

Typical gains I’ve seen on this dyno on COBB Stage 2 hard parts are 85-105whp on our local 91oct. The 85whp gain over stock is pretty low from what I’ve seen, most truck are making 455-465whp after tuning on 91. Definitely shows the quality and benefit of adding COBB parts!

I plan on getting upgraded port injectors and test using those very soon. I had them planned to test this month but corona has things on hold right now. So very soon!

I’ve attached a graph of the dyno on E50. Local dyno jet showing the baseline and the power gain using COBB parts and good fuel!

93B99390-5AC9-41A9-AC51-DDD71542A6C3.jpeg

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if others had a similar situation, but my 4-5 gear shift up and 4-6 skip shift always seemed off. 4-5 was harsh and 4-6 had serious lag.

Down shifting into 3rd always hit with a clunk as well when slowing to a stop.

I installed the OEM+ Cobb trans map and literally seems to have fixed the shifting issues I was witnessing.

I don’t want to commit fully as I’ve only had it on for a day so far, but I’m optimistic and hopeful that this solved the problem overall.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great comment! TONS of good information in your post, thanks!!

I have run E50 as you said, and made 504whp. I am not on E70 and plan to get the truck back on the dyno and go for ‘all of it’. See how much more we can make over E50, if any more power is available.

The stock baseline on this dyno was 365whp, so making 504whp was 139whp gain.

Typical gains I’ve seen on this dyno on COBB Stage 2 hard parts are 85-105whp on our local 91oct. The 85whp gain over stock is pretty low from what I’ve seen, most truck are making 455-465whp after tuning on 91. Definitely shows the quality and benefit of adding COBB parts!

I plan on getting upgraded port injectors and test using those very soon. I had them planned to test this month but corona has things on hold right now. So very soon!

I’ve attached a graph of the dyno on E50. Local dyno jet showing the baseline and the power gain using COBB parts and good fuel!

View attachment 140333
Question . Do Cobb tunes pull a ton of timing in hot weather ? I am assuming so to stay safe . 180-170 thermostat is a must for running a tune ?

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Question . Do Cobb tunes pull a ton of timing in hot weather ? I am assuming so to stay safe . 180-170 thermostat is a must for running a tune ?

Most tunes do, even OEM. Charge air temp is the Achilles heel on this platform. Once it skyrockets both load and timing is pulled

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep Noticed this yesterday in cool morning its like yeeehaaaa and in afternoon runs like a beat dog 102 deg. yesterday. Cobb Stage 1 with TCM currently and cobb drop in filter. Will a thermostat help any or is it Charge temp only that pull the most timing? Need to get my CAC on soon as possible.