Confusion with Offroad mode, 4H, 4L, and elecronic locking differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grizz23

Reaction score
I have a 2010 supercab raptor and im not sure when to use 4h and 4L. What is the difference between the two and which can I use to drive offroad at higher speeds. Also, what does the locking differential do exactly? Does this engage when I press the offroad button? What mechanical preparations will I need to make before tearing up the offroad?

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Your manual should have a small Offroad instruction card book in it. It will tell you what all the different modes are for. Personally, I prefer Offroad mode, traction control off, and the rear diff locked. If you are on slow technical stuff, mud, rocks, uphill sand wash etc. I would recommend 4hi or 4low.

Coming back down, engage hill descent control.

To prepare for Offroad check your spare, front suspension rear suspension, engine bay, and anything in your bed make sure to tie it down. Also, make sure interior stuff is hidden or secure so you don't have it fly up and hit you or slide under your feet to prevent you from stopping or getting to the gas in time to get out of deep sand, getting you stuck

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be unusual for the majority of us that do know how 4 wheel drive works. It used to be much simpler before electronics and lockers etc. etc. It was either 2w, N, 4h, 4L. and you used to have to turn the hubs to engage. That was it and I still remember forgetting to lock the hubs in from my first time wondering why the front wheels weren't doing anything.
What better place to come than FRF to learn how to use the Raptor with all of the sophisticated technology that is in these trucks.
Be patient. You also had this question the first time you looked at the shift lever.

For the person asking, I would pick up a simple book on 4 wheeling and start there before you ever get out and drive it off road though. There are many variables in using any 4 wheel drive. 4 Wheeling for Dummies is a good one.

Good Luck.
Mil T

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have never been off road before, you might want to find a local club, or forum member to go with you the first time. There are lots of clubs that do runs geared towards first timers. Reading the manual is a great idea since it explains everything in very basic language. Actually applying it in the real world can get a bit tricky!

The difference between 4H and 4L is simple. Both send power to the front and rear wheels, but 4L does it through a lower gear. This increases torque, and reduces speed. In many off-road situations this is critical to not getting stuck.

The locking differential is also easy to explain. When locked, power is sent equally to both rear tires. Both tires will spin the same speed, all the time. This works great in a straight line or off-road, but not so well when turning. With the diff open, or unlocked, power goes to whichever tire has the least traction. This works fine on pavement, and allows smooth operation when turning on pavement. It is terrible off-road though.

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also the traction control and sport mode that you have to look at. The traction control off does not always equate no traction control according to some members. This has led to rolling trucks in a slide. I can't say from experience but given the fact it isn't a $5K throw down weekend car, it's worth the time to pick and prod through the forums and videos to know the full capability of your truck. I wanted the Raptor Experience in Utah but the price tag scared me off for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk