Confused with lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
I just bought rears and fronts from SPV with their harnesses which is enroute now. why did you need a crimping tool? to crimp an end to the AUX wires? If so, did you buy some weatherproof connectors also ? thx
He supplies the connectors, which go on the Raptor, in which you need the crimp tool. Make sure you grab right ones. You want the A.

I got this crimper, little cheaper, but does not include the removal tool, which could be handy, but not worth the extra money.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 3.55.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 3.55.23 PM.png
    674.8 KB · Views: 33

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I be starting with upgrading the fogs or installing grille lights? Any help again is appreciated. Thanks!
To answer this question specifically, yes, I removed the factory fogs and completely replaced them with three pairs of Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Standard series lights. My reasoning for doing this first was:

1) It appeared to me the OEM fogs were basically useless, so they were just taking up real estate
2) Factory wiring to that location is in place already and with @Specialtyperformanceparts Aux 1 & Fog Switch Relocation Plug'N Play Harness you can still utilize those two switches.
3) Three lights would fit in that location, which give you a ton of light across the zones you want to hit.

I went with all yellow because I wanted a capability to deal with the dusty/inclement weather scenarios. They are also good for general use, but don't have the range of white lights. My picks for light were pairs of SAE Fogs, Drivers (non-SAE rated only because they are yellow, the white is SAE) and Spots. I went with Diode Dynamics because I like the TIR lens technology they use, which makes for very efficient use of the light produced. Check out these links on my install and demo:

DD SS3 Installed - Post
DD SS3 Demo Thread

My second priority is general use lighting and lighting to use during higher speeds off road, which I'll satisfy with some Diode Dynamics SS5 Pro in white. Debating on two or three pairs to mount on/above the bumper, but don't want to interfere too much with the camera. These 5" lights pack a load of light in for the size.

The other thing I've already done is add some Rigid Radiance Scene lights in the rear of the truck to be used as reverse lights. They put out an even distribution of light and are nicely backlit red. Here is a link to the install thread I did including a couple of pics and description of unearthing the of the upfitter wires.

Rigid Radiance Scene Light Install

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the factory Fogs output 1179 lumens at 45 degrees (Rigid 902533). I went with the BD S2s Wide Cornering (the SPV kit) which output 2450 lumens at 42 degrees. I want as much light as possible in as small as possible design

OP
OP
tonyp

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all great info guys, thank you! I'll keep watching videos. I like the idea of plug n play as my skill level is not high with electrical either. Would like to keep it pretty simple but willing to stretch myself if need be.

I think the ambers look amazing and it looks like some bars are capable of both amber and white, like the picture above, so that's a great idea.

Man if I learn those upfitter switches I'm gonna be dangerous! Like the idea of dash cam and radar.

Thanks again. Can't wait for the truck to get here.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone used the rigid fog lights and moved them to rear for backup lights?
I believe that John mentioned that the OEM Gen3 fog lights have a proprietary backing plate. To have a bracket made to fit for backward lights would cause the lights to stick out pretty far and look bad.

Sierraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that John mentioned that the OEM Gen3 fog lights have a proprietary backing plate. To have a bracket made to fit for backward lights would cause the lights to stick out pretty far and look bad.
dang what a waste. Thank you for the info.

Raptormts

Reaction score
I just bought rears and fronts from SPV with their harnesses which is enroute now. why did you need a crimping tool? to crimp an end to the AUX wires? If so, did you buy some weatherproof connectors also ? thx
This particular crimping tool makes it easier. You need to crimp the weatherproof connectors to the leads form the lights. You can use a multi tool. Just takes longer. I ordered a weatherproof kit for future projects. I picked up a couple of waterproof chord connectors from lowes (For when you connect 2 extension chords) to house the connectors and corrugated tubing to cover the wires. Probably not needed but I like a clean job.

Attachments

• IMG_6845.jpg
    IMG_6845.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6844.jpg
    IMG_6844.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6852.jpg
    IMG_6852.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6850.jpg
    IMG_6850.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6848.jpg
    IMG_6848.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 27

Raptormts

Reaction score
This particular crimping tool makes it easier. You need to crimp the weatherproof connectors to the leads form the lights. You can use a multi tool. Just takes longer. I ordered a weatherproof kit for future projects. I picked up a couple of waterproof chord connectors from lowes (For when you connect 2 extension chords) to house the connectors and corrugated tubing to cover the wires. Probably not needed but I like a clean job.
I purchased the same crimper as John used in the video.

Raptormts

Reaction score
These are rigid radiance from John at specialtyperformance, they are bright but not super bright light bar goes on when no oncoming traffic or high beam driver buttheads ,No street lights in my neighbor hood so they do a great job, fogs are on all the time at night no issues
My only regret is that I should have ordered the yellow fogs instead of the white