Confused with lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tonyp

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is great. Appreciate all the time and work to educate me and I’m sure others.

OP
OP
tonyp

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a light kit from John. Pleasure to talk with over the phone as he addressed some questions before I placed my order.

Just fyi I ordered a combo of BD lights that he didn’t have listed on the site but he was able to accommodate.

Thanks John. Looking forward to getting these installed.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered a light kit from John. Pleasure to talk with over the phone as he addressed some questions before I placed my order.

Just fyi I ordered a combo of BD lights that he didn’t have listed on the site but he was able to accommodate.

Thanks John. Looking forward to getting these installed.
Thanks again Tony! We really appreciate you!

John

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This^ The harnesses are key to an easy install and make the lights almost plug and play. They also make just the harness if you want lights they don't supply.
Thanks for the support! Yep, I hate to be bias, but there is no doubt that our patented harness system is the most versatile and easy available. We knew from the get go it was important to patent it, because it would be copied immediately for its feature. However, it wasn't just that we didn't want it copied competition wise. We didn't want it copied and cheapened. You see, today many just look for the cheapest way to make things. Cheaper materials mean more profits. We don't skimp on the materials. Not only do these harnesses have the most plug n play and vast applications, but they have the highest quality materials! We didn't want cheap inferior copies out there. We want everyone to have the BEST! So, to showcase this. We just shot a video with our harnesses, and several others by other lighting manufacturers and shops and we put them to the heat gun and flame test.... I think you guys may want to see this video... How do our harnesses handle heat compared to the other harnesses materials out there. Our materials (insulation) are different. After all, they do go in the engine bay right? You want to see this video... lol... It was a blast... so if you haven't, subscribe to YOUTUBE.COM/jtrischler to be notified when it posts after we put it together in the next day or two....

John

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many suppliers on here that can help answer your questions.
  • Regarding the types of lights (wide, cornering, driving, spot), BD has a nice diagram showing what does what:View attachment 339790
  • On 2021+, the outermost stock fog lights are connected to the fog light switch, with the innermost connected to AUX1
  • White vs amber I view as visibility for you vs visibility for others. Amber is better for dust/snow/fog conditions, easier for others to see you, also doesn't blind you with the reflection like white would
  • Most of these offroad lights you'll find are not legal because they don't meet SAE spec (light intensity, color, etc). You will have to specifically seek out SAE compliant lights if you

My inner fog lights aren’t hooked up to Aux 1. Not sure why they aren’t, but assume the dealer should fix this.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two more things to consider.

First is the location of the lights. If you want light that is more evenly spread, and is more usable further away from truck, getting the lights up higher makes a big difference. Lights in the fog area aren't great on this metric, whereas lights up on the a pillars do great. Lights on the roof are better yet, but beware glare on the windshield, added noise and of course height clearance.

Second, consider both lumens and candela. The former is total light output, and the latter is the measurement of the amount of light in a focused area. Lights like Baja Designs XL tend to have higher candela than Squadrons, presumably due to the design of the optics.

Together, these two factors can be quite significant. For example, I had two sets of squadron pros in the fog area, and one set of XL80s on a pillar mounts. The optics were the same (driving combo) on all the lights. When the XL80s were on, they vastly outperformed the Squadrons.

This is presumably why Baja racers tend to like lights higher up, and also prefer the XL80 or Onx6 optics over those of smaller lights like the squadrons.

Hope this helps.