Confused with lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’m new to this so gonna ask some questions that I haven’t seen answered elsewhere looking through the threads.

I’d like to add some lights to my truck when it comes in. Grille lights, upgraded fog lights (I’ve heard they’re not too hot stock), maybe even a bumper at some point from ADD, something like that, and there are a million options.

To add to my noob bewilderment, I see some are street legal, some aren’t, some go through the fog light switch, some go through Aux switches, the there are white and amber lights and then spot, fogs, driving lights… wow!

I admittedly won’t go off road too much because there’s not many places near me but I’ll be bringing it on beaches and using it for work around the yard, etc, but I like the look of some cool lights too.

If someone could shed some light, ha!, on what kind of light does what, and what I should be looking for I’d appreciate it! All I can see from my reading is squadrons seem popular lol.

Should I be starting with upgrading the fogs or installing grille lights? Any help again is appreciated. Thanks!

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many suppliers on here that can help answer your questions.
  • Regarding the types of lights (wide, cornering, driving, spot), BD has a nice diagram showing what does what:1643636144097.png
  • On 2021+, the outermost stock fog lights are connected to the fog light switch, with the innermost connected to AUX1
  • White vs amber I view as visibility for you vs visibility for others. Amber is better for dust/snow/fog conditions, easier for others to see you, also doesn't blind you with the reflection like white would
  • Most of these offroad lights you'll find are not legal because they don't meet SAE spec (light intensity, color, etc). You will have to specifically seek out SAE compliant lights if you do

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another good resource is to get on the manufacturers' websites and/or YouTube channels and take in the videos, which explain their product lines, uses, technology, etc. In addition, John @Specialtyperformanceparts has a ton of useful videos explaining the products they carry and how to install them. I found that helpful as well.

The second thing you can do is use the lights you plan on installing as a reason to learn the Raptor electrical system including how the upfitter switches work. It'll allow you to have no fear in installing other things like hard-wired radar detectors, dashcams, winches, and ham/CB/GMRS radios, etc. Lots of good DIY info on FRF!

Raptormts

Reaction score
Performance Parts are great. Easy plug n' play with helpful videos. I bought 2017-2020 Rigid ROUND 360 Series Fog Light Kit Including Brackets and the Rear SR-L back up lights. Reverse lights work when you shift to reverse and/or the toggle switch. The front lights are backlit. When not in use they have a yellow backlight that glows with the parking lights. All harnesses and adaptors are easy to install. My skill level is not very high. 2022-02-01.png

John can guide you. I recommend purchasing the specialty crimping tool. Saves a lot of time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GB698KV/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Attachments

• Raptor Lights.png
    Raptor Lights.png
    656.9 KB · Views: 39

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Performance Parts are great. Easy plug n' play with helpful videos. I bought 2017-2020 Rigid ROUND 360 Series Fog Light Kit Including Brackets and the Rear SR-L back up lights. Reverse lights work when you shift to reverse and/or the toggle switch. The front lights are backlit. When not in use they have a yellow backlight that glows with the parking lights. All harnesses and adaptors are easy to install. My skill level is not very high. View attachment 340048

John can guide you. I recommend purchasing the specialty crimping tool. Saves a lot of time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GB698KV/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I just bought rears and fronts from SPV with their harnesses which is enroute now. why did you need a crimping tool? to crimp an end to the AUX wires? If so, did you buy some weatherproof connectors also ? thx

Frank R

Reaction score
These are rigid radiance from John at specialtyperformance, they are bright but not super bright light bar goes on when no oncoming traffic or high beam driver buttheads ,No street lights in my neighbor hood so they do a great job, fogs are on all the time at night no issues

Attachments

• 217BFE82-C9BC-4DA2-A327-6B613DB648CA.jpeg
    217BFE82-C9BC-4DA2-A327-6B613DB648CA.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 239B4C21-3A21-428E-9825-7AE47380F772.jpeg
    239B4C21-3A21-428E-9825-7AE47380F772.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 42

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with BD over the Rigid offerings (back up and 3 fronts) primarily because I like the size/shape of the backup (S1). Then I read a lot about the two brands and felt the BDs might be more suitable for my needs for the fronts. I went with SPV Pro Squadron kit (Spot, Driving/Combo, Amber Cornering) Yea , none are SAE/DOT approved for highway use but I figure when I have to use the Amber wides, it is foggy or snowing and I won't be blinding anybody. The Spot and driving will be used on empty stretches of road when i am concerned about wildlife. Hope to have my truck home next week and the lights should be arriving about the same time.