Conclusion to Dealer purchase.. happy ending!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully someone will gain some knowledge from my experience. Ordered and received GEN3 in June 2022 from out of state dealer (Texas). Not first time purchasing out of state but first in Texas. Out of laziness, let the dealer handle tax, tag, license (more here -> https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dealer-taxes-title-registration.92310/). Realized when reviewing bill of sale, overcharged 1% on sales tax. Finance mgr stated they do that on out-of-state purchases to ensure "funds available" to cover titling vehicle and "would receive refund of balance when I receive tags/registration." Months of frustration later received plates and no refund check. Calls/emails/etc to dealer - no response. Filed compliant with Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and after month or so I received notification "determined dealer violated one or more laws which our department regulates and will be issued a civil penalty." Last week received an email from Texas DMV Enforcement stating dealer agreed to refund approximately 2x what I thought I was owned in lieu of civil penalty, and of last night received the check from dealer. Suxs had to get to this, but shady dealer practices should be called out - maybe after this they'll stop trying to fleece customers. Also - was hoping to have a legit dealer out here as I turn over vehicles every couple years. Obvious they do not care about return customers!
I remember, vividly, your situation. Didn’t know you were dealing with this as well. Just say the word; I’ll make that short drive & give the finance dept a piece of my mind for you. But once I get there and see our salesperson, I will have forgotten why the hell I even came! Lmao. Sucks it happened but good on ya for getting it resolved, Sir.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
I remember, vividly, your situation. Didn’t know you were dealing with this as well. Just say the word; I’ll make that short drive & give the finance dept a piece of my mind for you. But once I get there and see our salesperson, I will have forgotten why the hell I even came! Lmao. Sucks it happened but good on ya for getting it resolved, Sir.
LOL.. so true, think the same thing!

tractorman

Reaction score
Hopefully someone will gain some knowledge from my experience. Ordered and received GEN3 in June 2022 from out of state dealer (Texas). Not first time purchasing out of state but first in Texas. Out of laziness, let the dealer handle tax, tag, license (more here -> https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dealer-taxes-title-registration.92310/). Realized when reviewing bill of sale, overcharged 1% on sales tax. Finance mgr stated they do that on out-of-state purchases to ensure "funds available" to cover titling vehicle and "would receive refund of balance when I receive tags/registration." Months of frustration later received plates and no refund check. Calls/emails/etc to dealer - no response. Filed compliant with Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and after month or so I received notification "determined dealer violated one or more laws which our department regulates and will be issued a civil penalty." Last week received an email from Texas DMV Enforcement stating dealer agreed to refund approximately 2x what I thought I was owned in lieu of civil penalty, and of last night received the check from dealer. Suxs had to get to this, but shady dealer practices should be called out - maybe after this they'll stop trying to fleece customers. Also - was hoping to have a legit dealer out here as I turn over vehicles every couple years. Obvious they do not care about return customers!
It's helpful that you posted this for others. I had a similar situation. I bought my Raptor in Ohio and had it shipped to California. When they offered to do all the CA DMV I took them up on it and they added it to what I owed. The truck arrived about 10 days after I worked them the funds. With the truck was a packet that I had to complete. I had to have the truck weighed, smogged, and vin verified. I got that done in 2 business days, and everything was sent back to them in a next-day air envelope. They sent me a bill for $670 because it was late and other nonsense, and implied that I pay it or I would not get my tags. I escalated, which is a talent that gets me in trouble occasionally, and they agreed that I owed them nothing. It all worked out in the long run. The salesman was actually very nice about it and I think advocated getting the nonsense eliminated.

If you live in California and buy out of state, just have them send the MSO and whatever other sales paperwork they have and do the DMV yourself. You are going to have to have it weighed, smogged, and verified. Might as well do the verification last at DMV and just step back up to the counter and get your plates and tags.