Conclusion to Dealer purchase.. happy ending!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Hopefully someone will gain some knowledge from my experience. Ordered and received GEN3 in June 2022 from out of state dealer (Texas). Not first time purchasing out of state but first in Texas. Out of laziness, let the dealer handle tax, tag, license (more here -> https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dealer-taxes-title-registration.92310/). Realized when reviewing bill of sale, overcharged 1% on sales tax. Finance mgr stated they do that on out-of-state purchases to ensure "funds available" to cover titling vehicle and "would receive refund of balance when I receive tags/registration." Months of frustration later received plates and no refund check. Calls/emails/etc to dealer - no response. Filed compliant with Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and after month or so I received notification "determined dealer violated one or more laws which our department regulates and will be issued a civil penalty." Last week received an email from Texas DMV Enforcement stating dealer agreed to refund approximately 2x what I thought I was owned in lieu of civil penalty, and of last night received the check from dealer. Suxs had to get to this, but shady dealer practices should be called out - maybe after this they'll stop trying to fleece customers. Also - was hoping to have a legit dealer out here as I turn over vehicles every couple years. Obvious they do not care about return customers!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Well done, my Raptor brother. well done indeed.
they do that on out-of-state purchases to ensure "funds available" to cover titling vehicle and "would receive refund of balance when I receive tags/registration."
I know how I would have handled this and I’d say you are the more mature one. At 17, I got stiffed at pay call. “Don’t worry Private, we’ll have your pay forwarded to your duty station”.

You know where this story goes. Yes, I did EVENTUALLY get my money about 7 or 8 MONTHS later.

NEVER leave your money to the discretion of others. NEVER consent to ambiguous or unexplainable / dubious charges.

maybe after this they'll stop trying to fleece customers.

^^^^
The Pimp Slap is strong in this one.

Out. Freakin’. Standing.
This story just made my day.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a normal practice. I bought my 19 in tx and they did the same thing, except they paid Colorado the extra so when I went to get plates it was greatly reduced from the over payment.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Well done, my Raptor brother. well done indeed.

I know how I would have handled this and I’d say you are the more mature one. At 17, I got stiffed at pay call. “Don’t worry Private, we’ll have your pay forwarded to your duty station”.

You know where this story goes. Yes, I did EVENTUALLY get my money about 7 or 8 MONTHS later.

NEVER leave your money to the discretion of others. NEVER consent to ambiguous or unexplainable / dubious charges.

^^^^
The Pimp Slap is strong in this one.

Out. Freakin’. Standing.
This story just made my day.
Thanks and not that mature just old .... Your last comment(s) are what I've told my now adult children for years, but when you've been waiting for the dam Raptor for a year and it's there with keys in hand ... rational thinking goes out the brain!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think my current self would be like : “that’s ok, just give me the temp and I’ll do the tags and registration for that $$$” because like you said, these things come up after they dangle the shiny new thing in front of you.

dfw186

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news! And thanks so much to let us know where we should go for complaints