Concerns with new 2020 truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayne Lee

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Raptor and I am experiencing a few things that concern me. I first thing is a delay when I press the gas pedal. Almost caused me a wreck. It happens every time I stop and give it gas real good.... A delay then it picks up. Another strange thing is the fuel economy bar on my cluster fluctuates a good bit (the bar moves up and down on flat road and on cruise). I had a 2018 F150 and it didn't do this.

Is there a way to see if there are any issues with these trucks that others are experiencing or any TSBs for this year truck?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Is the truck fully warmed up when it is hesitating?

I also noticed the fluctuation mpg bar when on instant mpg. Struck me as odd, but hadn't thought about it in months, til now.

OP
OP
W

Wayne Lee

Reaction score
Is the truck fully warmed up when it is hesitating?

I also noticed the fluctuation mpg bar when on instant mpg. Struck me as odd, but hadn't thought about it in months, til now.

Yes the truck is good and warm. Its a delay of some sorts. I give it gas and it delays, almost feels like it stalls... then it takes off.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yes the truck is good and warm. Its a delay of some sorts. I give it gas and it delays, almost feels like it stalls... then it takes off.
Did you, or someone, switch from 93 to 87 octane recently? The 1 time my wife put in gas she put in the cheap stuff. I knew it immediately next time I drove it. Called and asked if she put put 87 in it, yup.

Otherwise, sounds like a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
I can't comment on hesitation, but I can say that when I first purchased my Raptor (I bought mine CPO, the dealership must have either reset the PCM learning or let the battery die to the point where the PCM learning was reset) my instant MPG was ALL OVER the place. After the first couple hundred miles it finally started to even out.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
first thing is a delay when I press the gas pedal. Almost caused me a wreck. It happens every time I stop and give it gas real good.... A delay then it picks up.

can you describe this better?

I’ve observed this in normal mode where I come to a stop, take off, stop again, go to take off - wait, wait, wait, power restored. I think it may be stability or some other electronic nanny. In my case I’d stopped, was taking off and a pedestrian ran from waaaaaaayyyyy out there to ensure I had to wait :rolleyes: I tried to take off and the truck wouldn’t move for a full second. JUST like in Raptor Assault in the pea gravel course, when you get sideways.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you removed battery cable long enough can cause TCM “learning strategy” to reset & it’ll have to re-adapt to your driving style

I experienced what you’re saying- happened only handful of times but almost all when stock, only once after initially loading a gearhead Tune....so wonder if it had something to do w/ stock shift logic When “fresh” & re-learning your Driving inputs.

alternatively- could be any one of the following (just my educated guesses)

bad gas/low octane

Knock/pre-detonation (also see above)

high IATs/engine temps

what is surface grip like relative to steering wheel angle? Could be stability/Tc stepping in pre-emptively

try the following:

Turn the traction control off (not sure if holding for 5 seconds also disabled stability control like in GM vehicles but if so do that too)

put in sport mode

Then put in 4A (just to eliminate wheel spin)

floor it in same scenario w/ similar steering inputs & see if you get same result...my guess is no, but my guess is also that Ford programs TCM logic conservatively for a reason to “preserve” things...especially in a vehicle that produces something like 540-550TQ in stock trim guzzling 93 octane....

so just be prudent when you’re flooring it & make sure you have plenty of space to let the tranny rip through the gears & surface that will allow the right conditions (ie: don’t wanna produce a shit load of wheel hop & grenade diff/axles)

Edit: to really pin point If it’s a TCM/tranny possible TQ converter related “trait” (not sure it’s a problem- could be dialed in purposely like I said) - try doing same as above but ripping through gears @ redline in MANUAL 1-10