Components Required for Dual Battery System?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I used to build my dual battery setup, and i might be biased buts its the cleanest dual battery I've seen in a raptor.

REDARC Battery charger (BCDC1250D) x1 https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-50a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger 366.07

Genesis Off-road single battery holder (153-STBK) x1 https://www.genesisoffroad.com/universal-single-battery-kit 160

Odyssey 34-PC1500 Battery (34-PC1500) x1 https://www.genesisoffroad.com/group-34-battery 296

BEDSLIDE ALUMINUM BED INSTALL KIT (BSA-HALUMKT) x2 https://www.bedslide.com/i-30497593-bedslide-aluminum-bed-install-kit.html 16

6 gauge wire from main battery to REDARC

60A FUSE KIT (FK60) x2 https://redarcelectronics.com/products/60a-fuse-kit 43

View attachment 156865

View attachment 156866

Wow, that is really nice! That's got many of the same concepts I plan to incorporate (bed cover, bedrug, DC-DC charger) and is very helpful. Couple questions:

1. How did you mount the Genesis battery holder to the bed?
2. What's the purpose of the aluminum track around the battery?
3. What loads do you run from the aux battery? Do you have free powerpoints you can tap into? Where are they mounted?

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ghost. Nice setup. Nearly identical to mine, including the Retrax cover:)

Now i just need your suspension setup and i'll be happy!!

The aluminum track that i built and put at the back of the bed is what the system is mounted to. I wanted to frame system as it will allow me to mount other things in the future like a water tank for a shower system, etc.
3. What loads do you run from the aux battery? Do you have free powerpoints you can tap into? Where are they mounted? currently the dometic fridge is connected to the aux battery, I plan on running a dual air compressor, and a winch eventually. the Genesis battery box is awesome and has points to connect all of your auxillary accessories. its a pricey setup but well worth it in my opinion. I am lucky since I am a dealer and was able to get a few bucks off but i still think its worth it even for the average consumer. the REDARC system i pretty sweet and even has a solar regulator so you can run a solar power setup and it will regulate and charge the system when parked at a campsite for extended periods.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dino. Some power tools need pure sine wave. Small inverters often produce modified sine wave, meaning a square pulse instead of a nice curve.

Consider 18v tools. Otherwise search for an inverter that produces a pure sine wave or for tools that’ll run on modified sine wave.

I use Makita 18v and have their DC charger. The DC charger is SLOW to charge a battery, so only useable when driving or with my system connected to solar. Makita warns NOT to use a modified sine wave inverter with their AC chargers.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dino. Some power tools need pure sine wave. Small inverters often produce modified sine wave, meaning a square pulse instead of a nice curve.

Consider 18v tools. Otherwise search for an inverter that produces a pure sine wave or for tools that’ll run on modified sine wave.

I use Makita 18v and have their DC charger. The DC charger is SLOW to charge a battery, so only useable when driving or with my system connected to solar. Makita warns NOT to use a modified sine wave inverter with their AC chargers.

Thanks for the tip, man! Last night I pulled the trigger on this Wagan pure sine wave inverter. I found them recommended by some overlanders. Everything on their site is 40% off for Black Friday.

https://wagan.com/products/pureline-1000

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now i just need your suspension setup and i'll be happy!!

The aluminum track that i built and put at the back of the bed is what the system is mounted to. I wanted to frame system as it will allow me to mount other things in the future like a water tank for a shower system, etc.
3. What loads do you run from the aux battery? Do you have free powerpoints you can tap into? Where are they mounted? currently the dometic fridge is connected to the aux battery, I plan on running a dual air compressor, and a winch eventually. the Genesis battery box is awesome and has points to connect all of your auxillary accessories. its a pricey setup but well worth it in my opinion. I am lucky since I am a dealer and was able to get a few bucks off but i still think its worth it even for the average consumer. the REDARC system i pretty sweet and even has a solar regulator so you can run a solar power setup and it will regulate and charge the system when parked at a campsite for extended periods.

OK, I'm getting it now. I'd be really appreciative if you could help me understand the Bedslide hardware a little better. The part you linked is an install kit for aluminum beds, which I'm sure is part of it, but I don't understand the actual bedslide parts that are used to make that frame. I get that after you installed that frame you mounted the Genesis to it. But I can't figure out the parts you used for the Bedslide install and how you mounted it. I think this could be the mounting solution I've been looking for. Before your bedslide idea, I was going with mounting the Pelican case to the BuiltRight rack via a ratchet strap. Thanks in advance if you can snap a couple pics and tell me what's up. I'll owe you a beer.

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm getting it now. I'd be really appreciative if you could help me understand the Bedslide hardware a little better. The part you linked is an install kit for aluminum beds, which I'm sure is part of it, but I don't understand the actual bedslide parts that are used to make that frame. I get that after you installed that frame you mounted the Genesis to it. But I can't figure out the parts you used for the Bedslide install and how you mounted it. I think this could be the mounting solution I've been looking for. Before your bedslide idea, I was going with mounting the Pelican case to the BuiltRight rack via a ratchet strap. Thanks in advance if you can snap a couple pics and tell me what's up. I'll owe you a beer.

the bedslide kit is only used since the nutcerts are aluminum instead of steal so that they will not corrode. I had some aluminum tracks with connectors laying around from a old drawer system that was built for my old jeep i can get you a link for the material to build the frame as well. but if you didn't want or need the frame you could just use the bedslide kit or source your own and just mount the battery box directly to the bed.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bedslide kit is only used since the nutcerts are aluminum instead of steal so that they will not corrode. I had some aluminum tracks with connectors laying around from a old drawer system that was built for my old jeep i can get you a link for the material to build the frame as well. but if you didn't want or need the frame you could just use the bedslide kit or source your own and just mount the battery box directly to the bed.

Ahh, so standard aluminum track plus that mounting kit from Bedslide = your mount. Thanks!

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, so standard aluminum track plus that mounting kit from Bedslide = your mount. Thanks!
if you want specifics on the types of tracks used, etc. I can find a link for you if you'd like. Its definitely overkill, but I tend to want a more sturdy setup for offroading, etc.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Mac’s Tracks. I ran two parallel tracks to fit the ARB slider on the passengers side and a third track on the drivers side. I used Mac supplied stainless steel bolts and nuts. They will not cause corrosion.

I did a thread on this install so look that up on the frf forum. Be careful with drilling the cab end hole on drivers side. The fuel line is right there.