GEN 2 component speakers without an amp upgrade (yet)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
long shot, but who knows...

I’m in the progress of doing audio upgrades, ’17 802A Sony system. Will amp it with ~40-50w but...

I’m not farming this out, and don’t have the time to do all the amp, DSR and speaker wiring in one fell swoop. I’m wiring up for Morel component speakers up front, and putting the tweeters in the A pillar.
Will run a 4 channel amp to the door speakers, so front doors will have the ‘woofer’, component tweet will be in the A pillar.

I’d like to save some time and just hook everything up, have id’d the wires on the factory harness and can do the front doors, but not sure if I am going to get grief from the Sony system if I don’t have the factory tweeter circuits connected. I’ve had a bad connection to the door speaker previously, which resulted in a hollow, tinny chime.

current config:
door speakers = pioneer a series
tweets = Morel component tweets swapped in for the stocker, running on the stock sony tweeter circuit
sub = MTI / JL 10”, speaker level inputs ( like the “added a sub” / “under $500” threads )

proposed change: replace the front door speakers with the Morel component pieces, cut the factory harness for the crossover, and use only the front door circuits, nothing on the factory tweeter circuit. Anyone done this previously? It would be an interim config, until I can carve out time to replace the Sony amp

Plan B:

Run the a-pillar wires, tie off, leave the stock tweeter circuit intact.
get the wire splicing done on the DSR/Maestro harness for the components, so it’s basically hook up ready.

I’m sure that pros could have this done in probably 2-4 hours, but it’s taking me a great deal longer because I haven’t been able to devote a large chunk of time

Thoughts?