Complete overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyjimenez

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a completely factory 2012 crew cab raptor. I’ve had my baby since she had 15k miles and I just hit 200k miles. I’ve recently decided to have a lot of things done instead of purchasing a new car. Essentially I’d like to do a frame up restoration. New suspension, new transmission, possibly new engine, new upholstery, new carpet, fix frame, new paint job, display unit. Etc. it’s a big job so I’d like to see if anyone has had luck or can recommend someone.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
My opinion, let sleeping dogs lay. Unless you're having problems with the motor or tranny. Slap some new shocks, bushings all the way around, hoses, belts, etc. New upholstery would be nice, along with new dash buttons and high touch stuff and whatnot. Wax it and put on a wrap or something to make it look new.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rather than going through all that, spend a weekend rebuilding the front suspension, then another weekend rebuilding the rear springs and dropping on rear shocks. If it doesn't have body rust there is no reason to pull the frame off the cab. You might have another 200k left in the rest of it :)

The best thing you can possibly do with a project vehicle is keep it driveable. That keeps the motivation flowing, every time you get in it you find something new you want to fix. When you get into multi year resto's it is really easy to just throw a cover on it and let it gather dust in a corner.

If you have a fresh engine and trans prepped for it you can pop that in over a 4 day, but unless there is an actual problem it doesn't seem all that worthwhile.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you located? There are a few vendors on here that can do most of that work. If you are a bit mechanically inclined you should be able to do some work yourself, but maybe you don't want to? I agree with @GCATX and just put a wrap on it, even if it does need some bodywork before hand, give it a new modern color. There are a lot of "how-to" threads on here for everything on how to replace your seat covers to changing out your suspension. What's wrong with your frame? Sounds like a cool project.