Colorado off roading (Bit off more than we wanted to chew)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been on a few off roading trips in the raptor but today i think we tested it just about as much as we could have wanted.
I know some others are much more extreme than this, but the trail we went on very much rattled our nerves!

First and foremost the raptor itself, absolutely perfect. Anything i asked of it, it did and with ease. there was never a point i felt that i was asking it to do something that was difficult for it or that it did not feel right at home doing.

The trail we went on was leading up to Almagre Mountain. At first it felt no big deal, Until the pucker moments....
on the side of a cliff at about 11,000 feet several areas had very large washouts that just so happen to be already narrow and rittled with large rocks. we ended up finding an area large enough to do what felt like a 10 point turn and did so. Unbeknownst to us we only had another half mile of that until we reached an open area and then the summit.
At the time looking at the map and GPS it was unclear wether the trail got any better so we decided best to turn around.

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpg
    IMG_9043.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9030.jpg
    IMG_9030.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6021.jpg
    IMG_6021.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9042.jpg
    IMG_9042.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9039.jpg
    IMG_9039.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 98

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
We have been on a few off roading trips in the raptor but today i think we tested it just about as much as we could have wanted.
I know some others are much more extreme than this, but the trail we went on very much rattled our nerves!

First and foremost the raptor itself, absolutely perfect. Anything i asked of it, it did and with ease. there was never a point i felt that i was asking it to do something that was difficult for it or that it did not feel right at home doing.

The trail we went on was leading up to Almagre Mountain. At first it felt no big deal, Until the pucker moments....
on the side of a cliff at about 11,000 feet several areas had very large washouts that just so happen to be already narrow and rittled with large rocks. we ended up finding an area large enough to do what felt like a 10 point turn and did so. Unbeknownst to us we only had another half mile of that until we reached an open area and then the summit.
At the time looking at the map and GPS it was unclear wether the trail got any better so we decided best to turn around.
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great run

OP
OP
LouK

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got puckered up, that’s what makes you want to do more off-roading. Great pics!
In all honesty this kinda turned me off to the slow trail/rock crawling, I would be interested in doing some more "at speed" stuff. Just need to find some places near me.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you all good with that. That's nothing the truck can't handle. You should try some skinny mountain passes with big rocks in Montana sometime now that this level won't wreck your nerves anymore. LOL