Color Difference of XPEL Noticeable on White?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't planning on doing partial on the actual pieces (like half the hood for example) but I was only planning to do the full front vs doing the entire truck. I was worried about the supposed .5% color difference the dealer was saying is noticeable on white vehicles, like I'd see a color difference between the front and the rest of the truck. That would bother me for sure.
If you did full front hood including fenders you would never notice the difference if the door was not wrapped. I'm doing same as you. I'm might attempt a full matte wrap myself or just do full gloss hood, fender, matte grill and bumper.

Last edited:

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fordloco I hope he did not cut into my paint either be even more a nightmare on top of my experience.

I've tried to get a refund or I do half a refund since this has happened twice with the peeling, air pockets and I have only really been driving with it on for less than a month if that and I don't go far to work and home, it sat at his shop longer fixing it these last 2 times.

He said if I remove it I'm at a loss, like not getting any money back. Any time I mention I wanted a refund he said I would be at a loss... They said they will fix it till its right, but I take it off its on me. But now looking at your lines, mine looks like crap, subpar is putting it nicely lol.

Last edited:

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fordloco When you said you made your own for your front lights how did you do it? He's using a XPEL machine for sure I saw it when I was there. If DAP is the standard for most I'm sure that's what he's got. But most area didn't seem like they lined up well with that system. What alcohol needed to be wiped on it to make it stick also not make it stretch like he's doing?

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fordloco When you said you made your own for your front lights how did you do it? He's using a XPEL machine for sure I saw it when I was there. If DAP is the standard for most I'm sure that's what he's got. But most area didn't seem like they lined up well with that system. What alcohol needed to be wiped on it to make it stick also not make it stretch like he's doing?
I bought the xpel dap pattern for gen2 and ended up only using the bumpers becuase they didn't line up good. I make my patterns with tracing paper. I've seen the headlight trim done bulk but it requires ninja like skills.

GEN 2 trucks are very difficult to do with all the complex curves.

Once you finish the job, the installer should go over edges with alcohol solution and heat.

I was looking at your photos. It's just a poor installation overall. Don't let dude near your truck again. :D To bad you don't live in Houston, we could knock those defects out in a couple weekends and make your stealth wrap perfect.

I would talk to xpel corporate. They are very cool people to work with. Just tell them your situation and I bet they hook you up considering how much you spent. Doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that, wish I did too. Its only like a 3.5- 4 hr drive but not ideal. I'd be there when you had time in a heartbeat. I'll reach out to XPEL never hurts. But right now its i take it back to them or have them take it off and loose all that money. He said he refund me a couple pieces they were going get to replace like the roof and door since I had to go back. I'm like that should the whole truck then since now more places are popping up

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that, wish I did too. Its only like a 3.5- 4 hr drive but not ideal. I'd be there when you had time in a heartbeat. I'll reach out to XPEL never hurts. But right now its i take it back to them or have them take it off and loose all that money. He said he refund me a couple pieces they were going get to replace like the roof and door since I had to go back. I'm like that should the whole truck then since now more places are popping up

From what I can see in post #19, I would say most of those could possibly have been fixable without having to redo it, if it was caught early enough. Of course, as soon as dirt gets under there, you basically have to redo the whole panel. However, there are a few options available, depending on what direction the shop wanted to go with for fixing those issues.

It's hard to compare a clear PPF wrap vs a stealth wrap. You can get away with some seams/paint showing more easily on a clear PPF wrap than the stealth wrap, since all of the exposed original paint sections would stand out more. Like what FordLoco posted, he doesn't have the same issue as you around the head light trim, because he has seams in some of those areas to relieve the stress. Unless the second piece of film butts up perfectly with the first piece, you're going to be left with a somewhat noticeable transition/gap. However, as mentioned, the headlight trim on the G2 trucks are a real hurdle to wrap in PPF, so you just gotta work with it however you can.