Collars vs Springs Question I haven’t seen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocbcwc

Reaction score
So, it appears the general consensus reading through a lot of info here is that springs are better than collars for leveling out the front end of the Raptor. It also appears the Eibach are better for street, Gieser for off-road.

With that, why do all the major suspension component shops only offer collars? Looking at Camburg, SVC, RPG, others, none sell just the front springs. Is it simply because they make a collar?

Just seems curious that if the collars were inferior, why only sell those…..

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.5" collars are much better at leveling the truck. Springs makes them nose high.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ When you replace the front springs, you might as well replace the leaf springs so the truck is leveled.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went straight to replacing the front with eibach springs, but I am curious if those that went with collars retained the ride quality with oem springs.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding spring preload is a much better solution to increasing ride height in the front than swapping springs, and is the way you’d do it on any high end shock or race damper to adjust ride height.

The stock shocks are valved for the factory spring rates and rate curves. Both geiser and eibach springs aren’t gonna match the valving of the stock shocks. With that said, once the collar (preload) gets too high, ride quality suffers.

If you don’t wanna run a collar the next best thing would be a replacement coilover like the 3.0 FRS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ocbcwc

ocbcwc

Reaction score
Adding shock preload is a much better solution to increasing ride height in the front than swapping springs, and is the way you’d do it on any high end shock or race damper to adjust ride height.

The stock shocks are valved for the factory spring rates and rate curves. Both geiser and eibach springs aren’t gonna match the calving of the stock shocks. With that said, once the collars (preload) gets too high, ride quality suffers.

If you don’t wanna run a collar the next best thing would be a replacement coilover like the 3.0 FRS.
You know that’s great way of explaining it. I am not nessisarily looking for a specific ride height, I want better performance off-road until I can save the pennies for the Upgraded Fox 3.0 set-up. So, it may just stay as is for a bit longer.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding spring preload is a much better solution to increasing ride height in the front than swapping springs, and is the way you’d do it on any high end shock or race damper to adjust ride height.

The stock shocks are valved for the factory spring rates and rate curves. Both geiser and eibach springs aren’t gonna match the valving of the stock shocks. With that said, once the collar (preload) gets too high, ride quality suffers.

Makes sense. I do think that the only way to make it feel "correct", for a lack of better term, is to have the front shocks tuned to the aftermarket springs.

I might try lift collars. I have +1 icon RXT leafs and that corrects the rake and prevents rear end sag when i load the trailer or haul equipment.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure collars are much easier to make than springs as well. That’s why you see so many.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 gen2 with fox live valve shocks with the rpg delete kit installed. I did eibach springs and icon leafs @ stage 1 setting(as is). Now my @ss is in the air. Everyone I've heard from on the forums who had actual live valves say that set up put them dead level. I'm guessing because of the delete kits on the live valve makes a difference, so now planning on installing drop shackles to hopefully get me level.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 gen2 with fox live valve shocks with the rpg delete kit installed. I did eibach springs and icon leafs @ stage 1 setting(as is). Now my @ss is in the air. Everyone I've heard from on the forums who had actual live valves say that set up put them dead level. I'm guessing because of the delete kits on the live valve makes a difference, so now planning on installing drop shackles to hopefully get me level.
Delete kit doesn’t matter. It’s still ass up. My shackles will be here tomorrow. I’m running eibachs with icons in the rear with the eclik on my 17.

Attachments

• 0BB1FAD4-B5B5-4A02-9F0F-5CB8C6407435.jpeg
    0BB1FAD4-B5B5-4A02-9F0F-5CB8C6407435.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 101