Cold transmission lurches between 3rd and 5th gear. Common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having the issues, and I am unable to get the flash done by Ford since it only applies to vehicles before my build date supposedly.

Either way, the issue is there. If I'm partial throttle it just feels like the truck takes its sweet time shifting. If I'm giving it some gas, it honestly feels like it goes to neutral for a second.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This tranny was codeveloped w/ GM. Clearly, many of you have never driven an automatic GM vehicle w/ a lot of torque & either their 6 or 8 speed tranny (hell even the old 4 speed sometimes) - the “rough” engagement into S initially & a couple of “flared” or delayed/jerky shifts initially when the tranny is dead cold is very common- almost standard if you ask me. I think the more cogs in the tranny or the larger the size/volume of the thing also matters- like fluid has settled & hasn’t lined each gear section of the transmission, then once it’s gone through a number of shifts & that fluid gets mixed around it gets smoother then as it heats up & the fluid expands it’s even more seamless & performs as intended- maybe part of the reason it’s normal for the tranny to run so hot is for the fluid to achieve a certain density/temp & thoroughly expand/coat the internals?

There are instances where it’s software related, but IMHO on cold starts I firmly believe it’s more of what I described above in laymen’s terms.

Not sure where any of you all live- but if you ever lived in a cold climate & DD a manual tranny vehicle - how’s the shifting feel @ cold start when it’s below 40? And remote starts don’t really help that do they? Really need to just start driving/shifting to get the tranny to operate smoothly right? While not apples
To apples I think some of that analogy is occurring here. If the truck did this when full warmed up or after driving for while parking & going back to it 30 mins later I’d be concerned- only on initial/cold starts? Worse in colder temps than in summer? Wouldn’t be concerned.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys still having this problem after the ECM reflash? I had my ECU flashed and the tables reset and still having the issue. I have had the control module replaced due to harsh shifts from Park to Drive and up/down shifts from 1-3-5 to 3-1.

When the car is warmed up... no issues. Always the first drive

I had the reflash done on my '18 a few months back due to the hard 4-5 shift in Sport mode. The reflash seemed to address, or at least change that issue, but now I get the low-speed lurch at times on the first drive. Mine tends to do it after I've remote started when leaving work for lunch or something like that. They are still very much working the kinks out of the 10sp.

wrek

Reaction score
This tranny was codeveloped w/ GM. Clearly, many of you have never driven an automatic GM vehicle w/ a lot of torque & either their 6 or 8 speed tranny (hell even the old 4 speed sometimes) - the “rough” engagement into S initially & a couple of “flared” or delayed/jerky shifts initially when the tranny is dead cold is very common- almost standard if you ask me. I think the more cogs in the tranny or the larger the size/volume of the thing also matters- like fluid has settled & hasn’t lined each gear section of the transmission, then once it’s gone through a number of shifts & that fluid gets mixed around it gets smoother then as it heats up & the fluid expands it’s even more seamless & performs as intended- maybe part of the reason it’s normal for the tranny to run so hot is for the fluid to achieve a certain density/temp & thoroughly expand/coat the internals?

There are instances where it’s software related, but IMHO on cold starts I firmly believe it’s more of what I described above in laymen’s terms.

Not sure where any of you all live- but if you ever lived in a cold climate & DD a manual tranny vehicle - how’s the shifting feel @ cold start when it’s below 40? And remote starts don’t really help that do they? Really need to just start driving/shifting to get the tranny to operate smoothly right? While not apples
To apples I think some of that analogy is occurring here. If the truck did this when full warmed up or after driving for while parking & going back to it 30 mins later I’d be concerned- only on initial/cold starts? Worse in colder temps than in summer? Wouldn’t be concerned.

You are talking about being co developed and comparing these to their 6 and 8 spd trannys. Am I missing something here? Instead of comparing the 10 spd to GM's 6spd ad 8 spd trannys, lets stay on topic.

I had issues with my transmission shifting hard out of Park to Drive also shifting from 1-3-5 and also downshifting from 3-1.. very brutal shifts.
Additionally I almost went through my garage wall when I had backed up a little bit to get something out of the garage and then put the truck in Drive and it lurched forward.
First I had the SW reflash done and it seemed to fix majority of the issues except the 1-3-5 shifts. Note: I have a 17 July 2017 build). I took it back and they took another look and changed the main control body. That improved but I still had issued from 3-5 with the harsh shifts. These are the shifts in the AM when he engies cold. Since then I have had it in for 2 more SW updates and one table reset...same results.

I would like to note that I while my truck was being serviced I had a 2019 F150 STX with the 10spd transmission and it is silky smooth. I also have a 2019 Expedition with the 10 spd that also shifts smoothly. Hence my comments before that these 10 speeds are not designed to be "rough" shifting like a GM 6 or 8 spd

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used to have this same thing with mine a while back. The shift out of 3rd to 4th or 5th was a bit rough. We recently reflashed everything and haven't noticed since.

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are talking about being co developed and comparing these to their 6 and 8 spd trannys. Am I missing something here? Instead of comparing the 10 spd to GM's 6spd ad 8 spd trannys, lets stay on topic.

I had issues with my transmission shifting hard out of Park to Drive also shifting from 1-3-5 and also downshifting from 3-1.. very brutal shifts.
Additionally I almost went through my garage wall when I had backed up a little bit to get something out of the garage and then put the truck in Drive and it lurched forward.
First I had the SW reflash done and it seemed to fix majority of the issues except the 1-3-5 shifts. Note: I have a 17 July 2017 build). I took it back and they took another look and changed the main control body. That improved but I still had issued from 3-5 with the harsh shifts. These are the shifts in the AM when he engies cold. Since then I have had it in for 2 more SW updates and one table reset...same results.

I would like to note that I while my truck was being serviced I had a 2019 F150 STX with the 10spd transmission and it is silky smooth. I also have a 2019 Expedition with the 10 spd that also shifts smoothly. Hence my comments before that these 10 speeds are not designed to be "rough" shifting like a GM 6 or 8 spd
I have the same lurching phenomenon in my 2017. Infuriating. Resetting the learning module tames it back down, but it always comes back. The TSB did not fix it for me. (It returned)

At its peak, my truck also overpowers the braking force if I’m not heavily on the brakes. Seems like a safety issue to me that should be getting WAY more attention.

Transmission TSB 18-2274
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh.../Transmission-TSB-18-2274.67028/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amg55driver

Reaction score
I feel like on a drag strip sometime when i floor in Sport mode, from 4 to 5, WOT, the truck chirps.(almost,, and my neck breaks.. almost..)