Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I occasionally get a low idle after a cold start, instead of the normal elevated warm up idle every so often. When I don’t get the elevated warm up idle the motor is groggy sounding for a matter of seconds as would be expected.

I haven’t checked for codes yet. I will mention this at the dealer once I have it in for the cam phaser pcm recall. But having an idea of what it nay be would be helpful.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's another member with this same concern.

Some of the suggestions given him so far include:

Clean mass airflow sensor
Check for vacuum leaks
Spark plugs, wires, and coils
Checking Injectors and wiring.
Some even suggested it could be something with the fuel pump or filter.

Mine has an after market tune and it's set to rev up past 2k rpm at cold start to reach normal operating temp quickly, then settles down to its normal rpm idling range. I'm not sure if that's something you can look into with the dealership or if that's something you can only do with something like a 5star tune with an SCT tuner.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck will basically have a groggy low idle (running temp) cold start roughly after a dozen perfectly fine cold starts. So it’s truly intermittent. I asked the dealer to take a quick look over when I was there for the pcm reprogram. They just checked codes and found nothing. Not too worried unless it becomes more of an issue.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is strange that it does it even after previous normal fine starts. How many miles on the odometer?

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that baby is still new!
Well I'm sorry I couldn't be much more help. I think monitoring it like you said is the best course of action given it doesn't have any codes or causing any big issues currently. Hopefully someone else will offer better advice here or you'll find the culprit when you least expect it.