Cold start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I start to notice the same on my 2014.. no fuse 27 relocation, Northstar AGM battery... It only happens on cold start AND weather is cold.
Mine was doing it prior to the fuse 27 relocation, I was hoping that would solve it, no dice.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm you said you already replaced the intake, did you take a look at your mass airflow sensor? Think it could need a cleaning?
Just brainstorming here but also my brother has a 2011 that was giving him similar issues and turned out to be one of the coils going bad. The problem wasn't consistent but he replaced the bad coil and that fixed the issue. Doesn't mean it's a coil in your case but check them anyway and also your injectors and wiring.
Very possible as I have always heard a faint ticking sound, maybe arcing?. Never had any misfires on live data though.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very possible as I have always heard a faint ticking sound, maybe arcing?. Never had any misfires on live data though.
I have the ticking too. 2014, no codes, but driver side two rear coils are arcing. Video’d engine bay at night and it was obviously visible.

Never had any starting issues, but still going to replace soon.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ticking too. 2014, no codes, but driver side two rear coils are arcing. Video’d engine bay at night and it was obviously visible.

Never had any starting issues, but still going to replace soon.
Good to know, I have new coil boots, plugs, and wires ready to go, just havent gotten around to it.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem after uploading a new tune in warm weather/heated garage and allowing idle re-learn... did not like cold starts when temps dropped below freezing... it fired up fine but then as it kicked down after initial start it would run rough for 30-60+ secs, even on one occasion it died... i did a KAM reset on a cold morning and forced idle relearn on a cold day, cold start... problem solved... if you have a handheld tuner, like SCT, it is one of its functions... reset Keep Alive Memory (KAM)...

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems my cold start issue is indeed related to accessories... the battery shop did a test, battery itself is still in top condition, but something is draining about 0.1V per day parked. Also big power consumption at startup, forgot the number he said but much more than usual.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's why I bought the Odyssey Extreme battery.
Between all the sensor checks, fuel pump topping off pressure, then the HE/Intercooler pump starting up and the HE fans (if you didn't wiring it up to a uplifter switch to turn on and off), Daytime runnings lights (if you leave your lights on Auto), then you have your climate control and let's not forget the Nav and radio, that's a big current draw at startup!!!

Last edited: