Cold start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2014, already have the fuse 27 relocation, new battery, and I have replaced the PCV valve about a year ago. I used the search feature and could not find anything on my exact issue. When cold starting, the truck starts, sounds as if it’s dying for a half second but then the rpms raise to a normal level. It has never died when this occurs it just seems very weak upon startup(reason I thought it was the battery). If I turn the truck off and restart it it does not seem as weak but I wouldn’t say it’s a strong start either. I found one thread that mentions the FPDM, but seeing if anyone else has experienced this before I throw more money at it. This occurred before and after the 5 star tune which I just installed. Checked for codes already and have none. I have learned to live with it but I also know it’s not normal compared to cold starts I hear on YouTube. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked the cable to the starter to make sure it isn't corroded/loose, etc? Same idea as the battery.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Dane, I did not check that yet but will definitely give it a look. What doesn’t make sense as far as the starter goes is that if I turn it off and immediately back on it starts better, still not as strong as I think it should but noticeably better than the first start.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try turning the key on without cranking for 5 seconds ....off for 5 seconds cycle it about 4 or 5 times. Do this before you try to start it when you figure it will have the issue. If it starts better your fuel pump is letting the fuel drain back to the tank so that when you go to start it the pump has to catch up and the fuel psi is low.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check all your hose clamps on air intake piping . make sure they are all tight. Could have unmetered air if its wants to die after start-up.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your hose clamps on air intake piping . make sure they are all tight. Could have unmetered air if its wants to die after start-up.
Going to rule out the intake, it did this with the factory intake and 2 weeks ago I installed the BBK cold air intake and the issue is the same. It has never died, it just sounds like it wants to on first start up. If I turn the truck off and start it back up a few minutes later it fires right up, its just that first start. Seems like a fuel pump issue but that doesnt seem like a common failure on these trucks.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try turning the key on without cranking for 5 seconds ....off for 5 seconds cycle it about 4 or 5 times. Do this before you try to start it when you figure it will have the issue. If it starts better your fuel pump is letting the fuel drain back to the tank so that when you go to start it the pump has to catch up and the fuel psi is low.
Im going to test this theory out a few times to see, do you think that may be a new fuel pump all together. I was thinking fuel filter but all my research tells me that these trucks have a "lifetime" filter that is located at the pump itself as opposed to one that runs along the frame rail.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also wondering if it could be bad plugs or coils, truck only has 62k miles but I have heard a lot of people having arching and torn coil boots. Wondering if it could be misfiring on startup at one of the cylinders?. But the fact it fires up fine on a second startup wouldnt make much sense. Going to try to monitor some live data and see what I can come up with based on recommendations. I think I can check fuel pressure also. My main goal is to not throw money where its not needed.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm you said you already replaced the intake, did you take a look at your mass airflow sensor? Think it could need a cleaning?
Just brainstorming here but also my brother has a 2011 that was giving him similar issues and turned out to be one of the coils going bad. The problem wasn't consistent but he replaced the bad coil and that fixed the issue. Doesn't mean it's a coil in your case but check them anyway and also your injectors and wiring.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2014, already have the fuse 27 relocation, new battery, and I have replaced the PCV valve about a year ago. I used the search feature and could not find anything on my exact issue. When cold starting, the truck starts, sounds as if it’s dying for a half second but then the rpms raise to a normal level. It has never died when this occurs it just seems very weak upon startup(reason I thought it was the battery). If I turn the truck off and restart it it does not seem as weak but I wouldn’t say it’s a strong start either. I found one thread that mentions the FPDM, but seeing if anyone else has experienced this before I throw more money at it. This occurred before and after the 5 star tune which I just installed. Checked for codes already and have none. I have learned to live with it but I also know it’s not normal compared to cold starts I hear on YouTube. Thanks for any and all help.

I start to notice the same on my 2014.. no fuse 27 relocation, Northstar AGM battery... It only happens on cold start AND weather is cold.