Cold outside, very loud and rough clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Well, looks like it's on backorder and it will be in around March 1st.

I had called the SA to let him know that I'd spoke to the Service Manager when he was out and told him that he had stated that they had a heated transmission flushing machine and that even though when I had mentioned it to you and you went to double check on whether or not they had one for flushing transmissions you told me no.

I went on to say that maybe they only use it when installing new transmissions but wasn't sure why they wouldn't use it for regular flushes. I also told him yeah it has to be a Gtech or the other name FordTechOne stated because it has to reach 140° F and has a certain flow rate etc.

I also told him that if the machine was down and they let Ford know about it that Ford would more than likely cover the transmission cooler and lines under warranty.

I could hear him repeating some of my words which made me think he was writing it down, he stated that he'd double check.

Later that evening I had called Ford Corporate to try to get a handle when I'd be receiving my new transmission at which time I didn’t know.

She called the Dealer and got back to me and said March 1st and the other parts would either ship with it or be delivered on March 9th, I said other parts, what other parts? She got excited and stated I don't know.

So that's when I called the SA to talk to him and let him know that I had called Ford Corporate to get an idea on delivery.

And then I asked before we almost ended the conversation, oh by the way what are the other parts she had referred to.

Yup you guessed it as I did, a new transmission cooler and lines but he stated that he had gone to the shop and he did find the heated flushing machine. OK!

Maybe it's broke, :D

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the world we now live in. You have to monitor and manage every aspect in your life, can't trust anybody anymore, except for some of the members on here :D

OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
Well I got my truck back on Thursday 2-24-24 with new transmission, lines and cooler installed along with the latest shift strategy.

So far it shifts really well much better than the original and I no longer have that hard shift in 5th gear.

20210225_195821.jpg
Happy so far but time will tell.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They replaced the torque converter too, I would imagine. Glad you have this behind you now. ENjoy that beast.

OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
They replaced the torque converter too, I would imagine. Glad you have this behind you now. ENjoy that beast.

Yes because I had asked and he stated yes because a new torque converter came with a new transmission, however it's not listed.

Did some research and if a transmission fails then it sends metal particulates throughout the assembly and the torque converter can't be flushed so it's replaced whenever a new transmission is installed.

"Transmissions when replaced will always come with a replacement torque converter along with them. This is because typically when a transmission fails it sends metal throughout the assembly. You can never really flush a torque converter in the shop well enough to prevent contamination from an old converter from getting into a rebulit or new transmission. So, they come with one."

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes because I had asked and he stated yes because a new torque converter came with a new transmission, however it's not listed.

Not sure if it even needed to be replaced.
Was just thinking more along the lines of fluid in it, but I remember another member getting a new transmission and they put a new torque converter in as well, believe it came with.

OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
We'll, I'm back!

Sunday evening driving down a long steep winding road for several miles using my paddle shifters in manual mode keeping the rpms up to help with slowing the vehicle down enjoying the ride.

My wife was mentioning what a nice vehicle this is noticed my transmission temperature was a little higher than usual around 235° ...no big deal.

Got on the highway in sport mode in auto with anti button pressed for 7 seconds...anti whatever it's called. I started to merge and a large truck was coming up fast so I got on it a little more going about 85 or so, left of the gas and then stepped back on it easy and BAM! Yup transmission made the whole truck jump, 3 seconds later it self corrected because it did it again BAM!

It really does feel like you've been rear ended as it's that hard of hit. The I noticed what appeared to me to be some small amount of white cloudy smoke rolling out the end of my truck. My wife thought I ran over something.

Stopped a few miles down off of Lindbergh as we went to get gas at Costco and I looked under the truck and didn't see any leaks but it definitely smelled like burnt transmission fluid or something like that.

Anyways, we got something to eat at Miss Sheri's, wife stated when you pay this much for a vehicle you shouldn't really have issues like this, should you? Of course I stated you wouldn't think so but anything mechanical and with all the electronics this vehicle has it happens sometimes.

Well after dinner I took the truck back on the highway trying to see if I could get it to act up again but nope, nada! It shifted like butter in auto and in manual mode and I even passed my exit trying to see if it would act up again as I was really pushing it hard, shifted just like a hot knife through butter.

Called the Service Advisor, they said bring it in and so it's at the Dealership now. Dang the new transmission only had 1,600 miles on it and I really was loving how nice the new transmission was running which was much better than the original one.

Sorry for the long post but the bad part is I've a 10 day vacation scheduled for next week and was planning on taking my Raptor, going shooting and camping. I haven't had 10 days off in a row for about 30 years but that's another story.

I hope they can get to the bottom of why a new transmission would do almost the same damn thing the original one did.

No codes, didn't go into limp mode but maybe they'll find some codes thrown.

I'll post back when I hear what they found.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll, I'm back!

Sunday evening driving down a long steep winding road for several miles using my paddle shifters in manual mode keeping the rpms up to help with slowing the vehicle down enjoying the ride.

My wife was mentioning what a nice vehicle this is noticed my transmission temperature was a little higher than usual around 235° ...no big deal.

Got on the highway in sport mode in auto with anti button pressed for 7 seconds...anti whatever it's called. I started to merge and a large truck was coming up fast so I got on it a little more going about 85 or so, left of the gas and then stepped back on it easy and BAM! Yup transmission made the whole truck jump, 3 seconds later it self corrected because it did it again BAM!

It really does feel like you've been rear ended as it's that hard of hit. The I noticed what appeared to me to be some small amount of white cloudy smoke rolling out the end of my truck. My wife thought I ran over something.

Stopped a few miles down off of Lindbergh as we went to get gas at Costco and I looked under the truck and didn't see any leaks but it definitely smelled like burnt transmission fluid or something like that.

Anyways, we got something to eat at Miss Sheri's, wife stated when you pay this much for a vehicle you shouldn't really have issues like this, should you? Of course I stated you wouldn't think so but anything mechanical and with all the electronics this vehicle has it happens sometimes.

Well after dinner I took the truck back on the highway trying to see if I could get it to act up again but nope, nada! It shifted like butter in auto and in manual mode and I even passed my exit trying to see if it would act up again as I was really pushing it hard, shifted just like a hot knife through butter.

Called the Service Advisor, they said bring it in and so it's at the Dealership now. Dang the new transmission only had 1,600 miles on it and I really was loving how nice the new transmission was running which was much better than the original one.

Sorry for the long post but the bad part is I've a 10 day vacation scheduled for next week and was planning on taking my Raptor, going shooting and camping. I haven't had 10 days off in a row for about 30 years but that's another story.

I hope they can get to the bottom of why a new transmission would do almost the same damn thing the original one did.

I am 99% certain I was just reading about a couple other trucks having this same issue as well. The thread was fairly recent, I just tried to do a quick search on this but couldn't find it. But I am almost certain this has been seen before with the Raptors. I am hoping someone else saw that recent thread and can Link to it. Hopefully that provides some guidance for you

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We'll, I'm back!

What is this “anti” button you’re referring to holding down?