Cold Air Intake Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
soooo if your so scared of an intake voiding your warrentie why not keep your stock components an if something breaks swap things back out? i think birds right sometimes ignorance breeds fear ive herd rumors of people who knew a guy who got screwed but never meet or been able to talk to that guy .......you shouldn't be afraid to mod your truck you paid good money for it you should have it the way you want

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Roush CAI. I went with it because of Roush's affiliation with Ford. I even had the dealer instal it ($50).

Damn you all! Just when I thought I had done my research and narrowed down the CAI to an AFE, I saw this thread and thought the Roush argument (affiliated with Ford and installed by dealer) was very compelling...

So now I'm back to deciding on a CAI: AFE or Roush?

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cai ? Wich one ?

Damn you all! Just when I thought I had done my research and narrowed down the CAI to an AFE, I saw this thread and thought the Roush argument (affiliated with Ford and installed by dealer) was very compelling...

So now I'm back to deciding on a CAI: AFE or Roush?

Sooooo what did you go with???? I am in the market as well ! I was going with the Airaid until I looked at the Roush , it appears to look much cleaner than the Airaid . Any comments from the peanut gallery ?

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFE. The Roush tube is same size as stock so not sure how much it increases airflow. I'm installing the AFE and 5Star tune next Saturday

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you do the installation, check the inside diameter of the AFE tube at the point where the airflow sensor goes. I bet that it necks down to the factory dimention at that point. Please let us know if it does.

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Size does matter , at least thats what she said !

One would believe the restriction would be at the paper or gauze type filter, not within the diameter of the tubing ? :Grenade:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^The interesting thing about the intakes of the Ford trucks is that they all use the same parts regardless of engine displacement. I've checked, and the part numbers for the plenum, the tube, the airbox, the airbox lid, the snorkel, and the filter are all the same, except that there's a minor difference for the EcoBoost engines. That means that our heavy breathing 6.2L engines are sucking air through the same intake as are the six cylinders. Parts commonality is good for Ford - it saves them money. It's probably fine for the smaller engines, too.

But, it's probably not the best thing for our big high performance V8 power plants. That's a safe assumption, I think. But now, let's get precise. Where in the power band would a restriction in the intake system make any difference? At large throttle openings, of course, when the engine is sucking air as fast as it can get it. This is absolutely critical for a race truck that spends much of its time at wide open throttle, but how often are you at wide open throttle? For me, not ever. My Raptor is my daily driver and I don't like tickets or single-digit fuel economy. So the only thing my AIRAID system did for me was eliminate the hesitation I had when I abruptly called for more power as when doing a passing maneuver. I like that. That's why I bought it. But I had no illusion about increases in fuel economy, and realized none.

As for the inside diameter of the tube, in order for an aftermarket intake to reuse the factory airflow sensor and be compatible with the factory engine map, the diameter of the aftermarket tube at the airflow sensor has to be very, very close to that of the factory tube. If the aftermarket tube was bigger, the air velocity at the sensor would be slower and the ECU would be fooled into thinking that less air was moving through the tube. The result would be erroneous fuel metering and a strong tendency to run a lean mixture - very bad for the engine and for drivability.

Last edited: