Cold Air Intake - AFE Stage 2, Airaid, K&N, Roush - Panel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that sucks. S&B said their intake is now will not be out till first part of 2015. I just ordered their panel filter and larger intake horn. Forget waiting.

HectorR

Reaction score
Intake: AFE stage 2 Engine: 6.2 Tune: stock but SVC on order Off road: not yet Installed AFE stage 2 over the weekend and initial impressions not good. Feels like something lacking now on low end torque and have to push hard to get some whoosh (accompanied by a lot of noise) To be fair I haven't had time to drive more than 40 miles and will also take another look at alignment, clamps, etc I have tune on order but had hoped to see some improvements prior to applying Also based on noise last night I ordered the lid

edit: couldn't live with the resonance for a planned 500 mile trip so returned to stock. May give another go with lid and tune

Last edited:

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine size: 6.2
Intake type: Roush
Tune: stock
Off road: a little, no complaints
My experience: I added the Roush off road intake and cat back. The throttle response is significantly increased. I don't hear any extra intake noise, but the exhaust is a bit louder. After 1000+ miles, it seems the fuel econ is slightly better (91) and the performance is noticeably different. Takes less time to spin up and drives power to the wheels almost instantly.

I've avoided tunes and superchargers simply to avoid complications with long term service and warranty. I can only imagine a tune will only make things better.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Intake: S&B Panel Filter and Intake Horn

Engine: 6.2

Tune: SVC V 2.0

Off road: not yet with intake and tune

I did install the filter and intake horn on the truck when it was stock just before I went on a 180 mile round trip to pick up a scout 2 donor for a project. Towing the trailer there and trailer and scout 2 back my MPG only went down by .1 which. So I would say the filter and intake made a difference possibly.

With the SVC tune the truck is well "awake". Have to report back once I take it off road with the tune and filter / horn setup.

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get an opinion on Stage 1 vs Stage 2? Does anyone have actual facts about the difference? I'm currently running Airaid with dry filter. Except for the filter falling off several times during hard off-roading, it's been a good choice. Although it hasn't fallen off this year at TRR or CRR since cleaning all mounting surfaces with brake cleaner and reinstalling.

Considering an aFe Stage 2 Pro Dry S

Current setup:

6.2L
Airaid Dry Filter CAI
5-Star 87, 89, 91 performance tunes
Added nice sound when shifting into 2nd, easy to install
Off-Road very often
No change in gas mileage or HP, extremely easy to clean, would not run this without the pre-filter, too much worrying about whether the filter has fallen off or not!

Off roaded mine hard for the first time after installing the airaid and it fell off. I know I had it clean and tightened. Thinking about going back to stock now. It does sound great but don't like the risk of it falling off. I had a prefilter on it but it came off with the filter.

DezertRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake: S&B Panel Filter and Intake Horn

Engine: 6.2

Tune: SVC V 2.0

Off road: not yet with intake and tune

I did install the filter and intake horn on the truck when it was stock just before I went on a 180 mile round trip to pick up a scout 2 donor for a project. Towing the trailer there and trailer and scout 2 back my MPG only went down by .1 which. So I would say the filter and intake made a difference possibly.

With the SVC tune the truck is well "awake". Have to report back once I take it off road with the tune and filter / horn setup.
Any news? Thinking of getting the inlet

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weather has made off roading a no go. We have had rain so no trails for a while.

Street performance wise there is some definite changes in regards to performance with the software and intake combo. Also the intake sucking noise is a smidgen louder I would say. Granted you have to listen for it. Cabin noise is no change as the stock resonator is still in place.

HectorR

Reaction score
Intake: AFE stage 2 Engine: 6.2 Tune: stock but SVC on order Off road: not yet Installed AFE stage 2 over the weekend and initial impressions not good. Feels like something lacking now on low end torque and have to push hard to get some whoosh (accompanied by a lot of noise) To be fair I haven't had time to drive more than 40 miles and will also take another look at alignment, clamps, etc I have tune on order but had hoped to see some improvements prior to applying Also based on noise last night I ordered the lid

Edit: couldn't live with the resonance for a planned 500 mile trip so returned to stock. May give another try with lid and tune.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got measurements for the stock intake pipes. To remove the resonator box you need a 4 inch to 3 1/4 inch reducer and 2 vent line adapters. I was looking into it but not on the top of the priority list. This would be a interesting test to see what it would do as you are removing the major flow restriction of the resonator.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: couldn't live with the resonance for a planned 500 mile trip so returned to stock. May give another try with lid and tune.
The SVC tune will solve your issue. They flow benched it with the AFE. . Just make sure Jeff knows you're running that intake. I had the same exact experience when I installed the AFE a while back with no tune and no lid. Way too loud and it was annoying as hell. 5 star tune helped a good bit but no where near the SVC.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Did a little mod to my AFE stage 2 that might be of some interest to you guys. With the lid on I was getting a very slight, short buzzing / resonance from the intake just off idle. Not the same type we are discussing above because the tune took care of that but more of a feeling the box wasn't completely sealed so getting a little vibration when you first hit the gas for probably less than half a second. Still it annoyed me.

On further inspection, if you look at the lid as it sits on the box it clearly doesn't seal fully as its just plastic to metal contact. What I did is take the weatherstripping that comes with the intake to be used on the metal part when not using a lid and worked it on to the lid itself. If you leave it on the metal frame and try to put the lid on it won't fit right. Took a little trimming but now there's a weather seal between box and lid that is sealed all nice and tight. No more off idle buzzing issue.

eafbdb7062ba28d5e7d613c0ca05db77.jpg

ad6e6bece7a12b9707e775253eb673f9.jpg