GEN 1 Code P06B6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j2k

Reaction score
I'm dealing with the same code popping up on my supercharged 2014. I've cleared the code and run the PCM tests in Forscan as well, but the tests didn't show anything and the code continues to come back. I also took it to my local Ford dealer, but they didn't want to touch the truck because it's supercharged, has a JDM tune, blah blah blah. Since the nearest Roush certified Ford dealer is about an hour away, I reached out to JDM to get their thoughts. Below is the response that I got from JimIII.... figured it might help you or someone else dealing with this code. I'm still in the midst of trying to resolve this, but I must say that I'm super impressed with JDM being willing to help troubleshoot.

"Sounds like a faulty knock sensor or the harness might be shorted. Another possibility is a shorted connection at the PCM...

I would pull the tune out for a little and see if the code goes away. but it's likely an issue with the sensor too.

We can look over the tune but let's resolve this first because the knock sensors can affect engine performance."

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dealing with the same code popping up on my supercharged 2014. I've cleared the code and run the PCM tests in Forscan as well, but the tests didn't show anything and the code continues to come back. I also took it to my local Ford dealer, but they didn't want to touch the truck because it's supercharged, has a JDM tune, blah blah blah. Since the nearest Roush certified Ford dealer is about an hour away, I reached out to JDM to get their thoughts. Below is the response that I got from JimIII.... figured it might help you or someone else dealing with this code. I'm still in the midst of trying to resolve this, but I must say that I'm super impressed with JDM being willing to help troubleshoot.

"Sounds like a faulty knock sensor or the harness might be shorted. Another possibility is a shorted connection at the PCM...

I would pull the tune out for a little and see if the code goes away. but it's likely an issue with the sensor too.

We can look over the tune but let's resolve this first because the knock sensors can affect engine performance."
I am still working this out too. I took MTF's advice and replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAS, but it came back.
Then I replaced the MAS yesterday, and so far no codes.

In FORSCAN, I ran On Board Diagnostic II test and it shows the Misfire count. I apparently am getting misfires on cylinder #3, so I probably have a bad coil there.

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuation of the story...
Took it to the best service dealership I know in my area. Told them of the problems and that I suspected plugs/coils or sensor.
They said, according to their TSB, I need to replace the PCM for $1540 and that might not fix the problem.
Has anyone replaced the PCM? Tasca has one for $430. I assume I need to have a new device (I have FORSCAN/ODB II) to read and save the data for reload on the new one.
Other than the check engine light, it's running fine.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Somebody else on here (not this thread) mentioned the MAS was causing issues and they had problems with aftermarket sensors and got an OEM one to fix the problem. Did you replace your coil(s) yet? I would do all of this first before coughing up $1540 for a new PCM, just my 0.02

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @CoronaRaptor
How big of a job is that, I've not done much engine work? I'm pretty handy and have the tools, but would be working in the Florida heat, (no garage).
One the other hand, about how much would a dealership charge for coils/plugs?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @CoronaRaptor
How big of a job is that, I've not done much engine work? I'm pretty handy and have the tools, but would be working in the Florida heat, (no garage).
One the other hand, about how much would a dealership charge for coils/plugs?
Well up here in Canada it’s real expensive for the parts, but members on here are paying between $500-$700 for plugs, wires and coils in the USA .That’s just for parts, if I had to guess, maybe $500 labour at a dealer. I had my plugs replaced at a dealer up here a few years back, think it was around 5 bills.

akley88

Reaction score
Continuation of the story...
Took it to the best service dealership I know in my area. Told them of the problems and that I suspected plugs/coils or sensor.
at least in the superduty this code seems to pop from coils going bad and arching. have you checked them for any damage or arching?

the coils and top plugs arent a hard job. the lower plugs can be annoying if you dont have the correct swivels. ive seen quotes of 400+ for just doing plugs.

bugmenever

Reaction score
I've just completed a 1300 mile trip from Florida to Oshkosh Airventure for the airshow.
With 50 miles to go, I got a Check Engine light and my OBD gives a P06B6 Internal Control Module Knock Sensor code.
Just about the time the light came on, my engine was struggling, pulling a heavy trailer, with cheap gas, and trying to accelerate to highway speeds and merging.
It is running fine now, no knocks, no trouble starting, etc. So I believe it was just that one event.
My thinking is that I need to clear the code/check engine light, buy better gas and accelerate slowing with the trailer.
First, how do you clear the code? I believe I just need to reset the PCM module with my OBD software.
Or do you think this is something I need to take to a Ford dealer before driving back 1300 miles.

Thanks for the help
Why not just Google the error, I recently had code P1249, I went to the forum there was a problem with the turbine. Try to Google errors better right away, so as not to kill the engine! Here is a topic in which I found all the necessary information, I think you should keep this site What Is P1249 Code On 7.3 Powerstroke & How To Fix It? , so that if something happens, you can quickly find the necessary information there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just Google the error, I recently had code P1249, I went to the forum there was a problem with the turbine. Try to Google errors better right away, so as not to kill the engine!
Thanks for the reply. I researched it and found likely ways to fix. Ford service couldn't diagnose it beyond what I already found on this forum. Probably plug/coils/sensor/ or even PCM unit.