GEN 1 Code P06B6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just completed a 1300 mile trip from Florida to Oshkosh Airventure for the airshow.
With 50 miles to go, I got a Check Engine light and my OBD gives a P06B6 Internal Control Module Knock Sensor code.
Just about the time the light came on, my engine was struggling, pulling a heavy trailer, with cheap gas, and trying to accelerate to highway speeds and merging.
It is running fine now, no knocks, no trouble starting, etc. So I believe it was just that one event.
My thinking is that I need to clear the code/check engine light, buy better gas and accelerate slowing with the trailer.
First, how do you clear the code? I believe I just need to reset the PCM module with my OBD software.
Or do you think this is something I need to take to a Ford dealer before driving back 1300 miles.

Thanks for the help

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can just clear it.
If it's stored as a permanent it will clear after three consecutive drive cycles without an incident.
Do yourself a favor and don't use anything under 91 octane if you're towing.
And if it's laboring, just go down one gear to keep the rpm up until you pass something.
Have you tried the Tow/Haul mode? It keeps the gears longer and down shifts sooner with it enabled.

You may want to consider running a cooler thermostat in the summer months when towing, it will help keep the engine cooler at highway speeds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just clear it.
If it's stored as a permanent it will clear after three consecutive drive cycles without an incident.
Do yourself a favor and don't use anything under 91 octane if you're towing.
And if it's laboring, just go down one gear to keep the rpm up until you pass something.
Have you tried the Tow/Haul mode? It keeps the gears longer and down shifts sooner with it enabled.

You may want to consider running a cooler thermostat in the summer months when towing, it will help keep the engine cooler at highway speeds.
Thanks for the advice. I cleared it by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.
I have been using the Tow/Haul mode and will use 91 octane if available. Many places only have regular. I found Pilot/Flying J to be good for trailers.

I really appreciate the help. You saved me a trip to the dealership.

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the light come back on?

There's another Ocala run on August 28th
I just got back from my trip. On the way back I used premium gas and monitored the shifting better.
The light did come back on. Same code but only 1 event on cylinder #3. I need to learn a bit more about FORScan to properly dianose.

An Ocala run sounds great!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When was the last time you cleaned the Mass air flow sensor?
How's the air filter?

In the hot summer months having those two up to par is key.
Especially when towing.

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you cleaned the Mass air flow sensor?
How's the air filter?

In the hot summer months having those two up to par is key.
Especially when towing.
Thanks for the info. I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor and it did need a new air filter.
I hope that solves the problem.

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the show?
What do you fly?

Mooney driver here...

:)
The show was fantastic, except for the severe weather (70mph winds and hail was predicted), but it was just a heavy thunderstorm.
I fly a Grumman Lynx (AA-1C). This was the Aeroshell Team at the night airshow.

Attachments

• DSC_0378A.jpg
    DSC_0378A.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor and it did need a new air filter.
I hope that solves the problem.
A followup that I thought might be interesting. The PO6B6 came back with the engine light.
It seemed to be running fine, but today I decided to replace the MAS with one from Advanced Auto Parts*. Well it sorta worked...
I didn't get the PO6B6, but then the truck shifted into Hill Descent Mode with Hill Descent Control Fault along with AdvanceTrac Service error and a wrench.
Using the OBD, I tried to rum the PCM tests and the engine just died (Low Oil Pressure). Oil level was fine.
After a while trying to figure out what just happened, I replaced the MAS with the old OEM part. All is fine for the moment, no errors, but I'm sure PO6B6 will be back soon.
Amazing what problems a simple sensor will cause.

*Note: Advanced Auto Parts gave me the wrong part. Hitachi #MAF0012 caused the above problems. Hitachi #MAF0112 is the correct part number.

Last edited: