COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
There is a standard SAE pid for the number of key cycles/ignition cycles since the last module reset. An ECU reset will occur following an ECU flash (like an install/change map/uninstall with the Accessport), but also through disconnecting the battery terminals for a few minutes or using a handheld code reader to reset the ECU. In most cases, this pid will be what dealership technicians will reference when asking about whether or not the vehicle has been tuned if and when the number is 'suspiciously' low given mileage or age. As in cdurbin's experience above, this pid does not store any information about what sort of device commanded the reset. This is not to say that Ford - or any other modern OE manufacturer - lacks the capability to detect a previously installed tune, but in our experience the first check for a tune is done through this pid.

Booth9999 - Should you have problems like this in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us on the forums or through our customer service department. We are here to help and hopefully save unnecessary trips to the dealership and/or dollars spent. Also, to answer your earlier question, we do not clear as-built data from any module under any conditions.

If I were to get a tune and a possible warranty issue were to arise... would reinstalling the OEM factory tune and then disconnecting the battery while I was installing my fog lights, remove all trace of an aftermarket tune?

Last edited:

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I were to get a tune and a possible warranty issue were to arise... would reinstalling the OEM factory tune and then disconnecting the battery while I was installing my fog lights, remove all trace of an aftermarket tune?

We don't have the inside knowledge to confirm or deny this, so I'll have to defer to a conservative stance - if and when a Ford engineer were to dig in, it is entirely possible that they could find a trace of an aftermarket tune having been previously installed. But in terms of the quick and easy check that would be routinely performed by a dealer when a vehicle comes in for service/repair - checking the number of key cycles since the last ECU reset - there would not be any unique footprint of a tune being uninstalled vs. disconnecting the battery to install a fog light kit.

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you also mask it by just turning your truck on/off a bunch of times to get the key turns count up to something “reasonable” to the techs? Or is there 2 key counts? One stored in one place & one somewheres else that doesn’t reset?

I know in my Hellcat, I swapped out the ECU’s & kept the stock ECU if returned to stock... but the mileage on the ECU wouldn’t match the odometer. Mine was far from stock, but if it were a bolt-on... the spare ECU might come in handy then.

My Gen 2 SRT Jeep was just basic bolt-on though, so I used a Diablo tuner & it was undetectable (had $6k of warranty work done, although there was a TSB out for lifters going bad). It copied over the key turn count & also the mileage apparently, so all you had to do was revert back to the stock tune & nothing was touched... the only trace showed so something similar to the battery being disconnected, but key turn counts & mileage were spot on. Is there anyway to do something like that in future tuning?

Neens

Reaction score
A buddy of mine blew the motor on his focus st with a crackle tune. His cylinders looks scorched and burnt out. He reflashed to stock, took off all the after market parts, and the ford rep the dealership called in gave him shit over the start count but they ended up replacing the motor under warranty.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how you slice it, once your tuned if dealer wants to find evidence to deny a warranty claim they can find it. Only thing you can do is cover up as much as possible and risk probability of having to pay out of pocket should you get caught.

jwkhd1

Reaction score
Just received the same email. Now to wait for real world results. I am between this and the ORA550 tune.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our site has been updated with the COBB TCM Support options:

TCM Flash Only (Upgrade to Current Accesport users): COBB Accessport V3 F-150 Raptor 2017-2019 (Upgrade to TCM Flashing)

Accessport v3 with TCM Support: COBB Accessport V3 F-150 Raptor 2017-2019 with TCM Flashing

Stage 1 Power Package with TCM: COBB Power Package Stage 1 (With TCM) F-150 Raptor 2017-2019

Stage 1+ Power Package with TCM: COBB Power Package Stage 1+ (With TCM) F-150 Raptor 2017-2019

Stage 2 Power Package with TCM: