COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the numbers will be higher than the other tuners. But I expect over all running to be seemless , smooth and safer.

Yah, I'm really curious what the differentiators will be with Cobb vs MPT. I'm in the market for a tune. I really like what I've seen with MPT, especially the support for revisions. I'll be honest, unless Cobb has some unique and compelling differentiators, I'm inclined to go with MPT. Super anxious for Cobb to actually bring their stuff to market.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. The Cobb setup will be expensive, will take a fair bit to convince me.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you only intend to load up an OTS tune and that's it, the main difference is in the AccessPort hardware device, the firmware functions, and the datalogging capability.

All of the Cobb work is done in-house. Trey Cobb, the founder, is an Electrical Engineer and they employ real software engineers. They FULLY evaluate every vehicle they support, reverse engineer the ECU, and write their own software interface and add custom code to implement functions requested by the user community and/or where needed for performance. ALL the other tuners use someone else's software (HP Tuners) and can only do what they're allowed by HPT, which are the basic existing functions in the ECU. (I have the HP Tuners software as well)

If the user is interested in DITY tuning using the Cobb AccessTuner software, then Cobb requires you to complete a course of EFI U training (~$150) that touches on the capabilities and the emissions to be sure that the user understands the basics and that it becomes the user responsibility for emissions compliance. You will get a formal certificate of completion. Once completed, you can order the AT software. The AT software has explanations/notes on each table to help the Pro and DITY tuner understand the function(s). Cobb understands and writes the tuning process from end-to-end, so there are no "middle-men" tuners like MPT, 5-Star, etc. When you have a question, it goes straight to the source of the code, if necessary.

The Cobb OTS maps provided for free with the purchase of the AccessPort also do not "turn off" or defeat emissions devices. They are setup for increased performance at safe levels. If you're looking for maximum performance with more risk, then a Pro-Tune or DITY is required with AT.

There's so much more if you're into the actual tuning, but this is a top-level overview. You can study their web site and even send them questions if you have specifics on vehicles they support, which are listed. They don't support a whole line of vehicles, only the vehicles with potential that they take in-house and work their process on.

I'm beyond ready for them to get done with the Raptor 3.5 and release their product line. I'll be one of the first to purchase the AP, and I'm already Ford Ecoboost certified, so I'll get the AT software too,

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be going Cobb regardless of price and even if the numbers are a "little" less than other tuners. They put out quality stuff and I've had personal experience with Cobb on my wrx. I was very excited when I heard they were working on the raptor. I've never had experience with MPT so I can't speak from personal experience about them.

Also curious what they have up their sleeve besides the intercooler and intake. Hoping they have downpipes as well.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cobb was a vendor at Rennsport this past weekend. I questioned one of the Cobb employees working the show about the release of the Raptor product line. He said we can expect something by the end of November.

I worked for an Aftermarket shop that specialized in GT-R’s. We ran the Cobb AP I’m pretty much every GTR or Subaru that came through the shop. I’ve personally used their AP in my Subaru and loved it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I wonder if they would be able and willing to give us a “remember last drive mode” function...

smurfslayer

Reaction score
While I haven’t checked one out, maybe one of the FRF Intelligentsia can offer comment;
Does the ’18/’19 Mustang GT have push button drive modes?

But yeah, default of Sport mode would be great. extra banana for sport + 4a.

NV997tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only intend to load up an OTS tune and that's it, the main difference is in the AccessPort hardware device, the firmware functions, and the datalogging capability.

All of the Cobb work is done in-house. Trey Cobb, the founder, is an Electrical Engineer and they employ real software engineers. They FULLY evaluate every vehicle they support, reverse engineer the ECU, and write their own software interface and add custom code to implement functions requested by the user community and/or where needed for performance. ALL the other tuners use someone else's software (HP Tuners) and can only do what they're allowed by HPT, which are the basic existing functions in the ECU. (I have the HP Tuners software as well)

If the user is interested in DITY tuning using the Cobb AccessTuner software, then Cobb requires you to complete a course of EFI U training (~$150) that touches on the capabilities and the emissions to be sure that the user understands the basics and that it becomes the user responsibility for emissions compliance. You will get a formal certificate of completion. Once completed, you can order the AT software. The AT software has explanations/notes on each table to help the Pro and DITY tuner understand the function(s). Cobb understands and writes the tuning process from end-to-end, so there are no "middle-men" tuners like MPT, 5-Star, etc. When you have a question, it goes straight to the source of the code, if necessary.

The Cobb OTS maps provided for free with the purchase of the AccessPort also do not "turn off" or defeat emissions devices. They are setup for increased performance at safe levels. If you're looking for maximum performance with more risk, then a Pro-Tune or DITY is required with AT.

There's so much more if you're into the actual tuning, but this is a top-level overview. You can study their web site and even send them questions if you have specifics on vehicles they support, which are listed. They don't support a whole line of vehicles, only the vehicles with potential that they take in-house and work their process on.

I'm beyond ready for them to get done with the Raptor 3.5 and release their product line. I'll be one of the first to purchase the AP, and I'm already Ford Ecoboost certified, so I'll get the AT software too,

Nice post. Thank you for the informative insight. Interesting detail about getting certified to do deeper level tuning. I am excited and will be right behind you, pulling the trigger on COBB ASAP! Off topic but based on your signature details, I have something you might or should be interested in...

7637351F-C9EB-48F1-B9D7-6D4C27BFB2E2.jpeg

BB692527-77F0-44B5-8AEA-2AEBE240BA3E.jpeg

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Nice post. Thank you for the informative insight. Interesting detail about getting certified to do deeper level tuning. I am excited and will be right behind you, pulling the trigger on COBB ASAP! Off topic but based on your signature details, I have something you might or should be interested in...

View attachment 114128

View attachment 114129

Isn’t this the only Duc superbike to not will the world superbike championship at least once?

I have to give it to Ducati though, they make the absolute best looking motorcycles for 2nd place on the podium :p