Cobb tune or mpt tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just ordered Cobb accessport for my 19 raptor stage 1 , with a 93 oct tune . is it worth it to order a separate tune from mpt and up load it to the Cobb . Cobb claims 450 hp 550 torque peak , and gains across the board . I guess my question is would there be any benefit to an mpt mail tune , as that seems to be mentioned the most as the best?

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just ordered Cobb accessport for my 19 raptor stage 1 , with a 93 oct tune . is it worth it to order a separate tune from mpt and up load it to the Cobb . Cobb claims 450 hp 550 torque peak , and gains across the board . I guess my question is would there be any benefit to an mpt mail tune , as that seems to be mentioned the most as the best?

Check out Goosetuned. You won't be disappointed.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wgr73 aka Goosetuned is a must much better gains then the tune that comes with cobb and will make it custom to you

you do data logging and send files back to him maybe 3 to 5 times until it is perfect for your truck and the fuel you use

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
@wgr73 aka Goosetuned is a must much better gains then the tune that comes with cobb and will make it custom to you

you do data logging and send files back to him maybe 3 to 5 times until it is perfect for your truck and the fuel you use

Do this ^^^^^ for best results. You won't be disappointed.

The Cobb supplied tunes are really just a very good, safe baseline tune with a bit more power/torque than stock, but still 100% safe. Then the Cobb Pro-Tuners (like Goosetune and a few others) step in and raise the power across the board while lowering the 100% OEM reliability to something less than 100%. That's not to say your engine will pop if tuned beyond stock power, but if there are any pre-existing flaws, it will become the failure point.

Please don't take this as a prediction of tuned-engine failure! There is ALWAYS some risk associated with increasing the power output of a stock engine. My point its that you must understand this FACT, so you don't blame the tuner if your shit blows up with the same level of tuning that works great on most engines.

There are variations in all manufactured hard parts, plus assembly processes that can affect component reliability. Hence why an "engine builder" is a specially learned skill/process, not just simply bolting all parts together. Race teams spend megabucks to hire and keep people who "know" what they're doing and can "perform" the work to ensure an engine will run at the required power output for the time allotted. In the case of OEMs, their engine people must design and build an engine to perform as expected for the life of the warranty period, plus any overhead deemed necessary for brand loyalty. This is precisely why OEM vehicles can be "modified" to increase their performance in the engine and chassis. Aftermarket doesn't have the same restrictions/limitations as OEMs.

All said, AFAIK the 3.5TT Ecoboost engine is built like a rock. The cam phaser issue that "some" have is NOT a terminal failure and is unaffected by aftermarket tuning. I have 50k tuned miles on mine and it is just as fast today as when new in 2018. Never had a single problem with anything. YMMV

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thing I will install the canned tune from cobb ,then look into goose tune .