Cobb Stage 2 or Whipple Stage 1 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original R&D customer in California is in Irvine. We have a bunch of raptors in CA now.
Before we finished our tune for the 17+ Raptors we did a lot of Whipple kits and did like their tuning, but we wanted to take these trucks a step further.

We have a very good relationship with Whipple as we also do superchargers for 6.2 Raptors, Lightnings, GT500s, and coyote mustangs and have been for years.

With bolt on modifications, the tune will not need to be modified but if you went to larger turbo, or a built trans/engine adjustments would be needed.

bigdave18629

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread, I am here in Nor Cal and was about to pull the trigger on a Whipple just due to the CARB approval. If I buy JDM, does the CARB stickers stay with the Whipple parts? If I understand correctly this is about whipple parts with a different tune?

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread, I am here in Nor Cal and was about to pull the trigger on a Whipple just due to the CARB approval. If I buy JDM, does the CARB stickers stay with the Whipple parts? If I understand correctly this is about whipple parts with a different tune?

The Whipple parts still carry their individual C.A.R.B approval, that we do not alter. The difference between Whipple's kit and ours is we supply custom tuning, and we use the SP-550 plugs gapped at .028"

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating on getting a little power upgrade kit for 2019 and was looking into Whipple Stage 1 and Cobb Stage 2 kits. They seem to be priced very close and seems to have stock like fitment.

Any pros or cons going with one vs other ? My friend has Whipple on his 2019 and he seems to be pretty happy and truck is running with no issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Cant speak for the Whipple vs. Cobb in the Gen 2...but to add my 2 cents...I have the Whipple SC in my 2014 and LOVE it...No problems and it runs like a bat out of hell...best and fastest vehicle I've even owned...!

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been using the Cobb stage 2 in my 2017 Screw and have no issues. I do wished they have trans tune but it is what is it, I don’t do any off roading except for some overlanding camping trips. So my is just a highway speeder and the Cobb definitely gave me more power.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Whipple stage 1, as it also includes trans tuning, it is a big disadvantage that cobb doesnt include trans tuning.

The cobb IC is bigger, which is nice, but requires removal of the shutters.

teamJDM is running a sale on the a similar stage 1 package

https://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-ecoboost-gen-2-raptor-stage-1-upgrade-kit/

I run essentially the team JDM stage 1 package and I am very happy with it.

With the Wipple IC don't you have to do some trimming or removal?

Does the Wipple IC have a drain?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Shutters stay, nothing has to be trimmed, one small piece that is easily re-attached is removed.

The whipple IC does not have and does not need a drain.

I'm curious as to why other manufacturers like Mishimoto and I believe Wagner include a drain in their IC.

If you know the reason why they feel it's necessary and Wipple apparently doesn't please let me know, thanks.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why other manufacturers like Mishimoto and I believe Wagner include a drain in their IC.

If you know the reason why they feel it's necessary and Wipple apparently doesn't please let me know, thanks.

It seems as if this was a hot button issue a few years ago with 14 pages here on FRF.
Most of the information did seem to come from a well documented troll so information is more than questionable.

Seems as if the reason regarding a drain hole is certain atmospheric conditions+cooling the air charge = condensation in the charge induction system an intercooler. It is also worth noting that the physically lowest point in the induction system is the intercooler so oil residue from PCV may collect as well.

Some people drilled small holes in their intercooler which sounds like a head scratcher to me. At boost in theory I guess you'd be blowing any condensation or oil out, but it is a boost leak and 100% not California approved lol.

Any open hole is also unfiltered air so that is an issue to me. Anytime you are not in boost it is sucking in whatever is around. If anyone tried crossing water with a submerged unchecked hole in their intercooler with their truck not in boost they would be sucking in water at that moment, so is it worth it?

The photo I have attached is an older generation ecoboost so it is not exact, but will give you an idea of the system.

I think if the hole was necessary whipple would have installed it.

ecoboost hose routing.png

Last edited: