Cobb Stage 2 or Whipple Stage 1 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating on getting a little power upgrade kit for 2019 and was looking into Whipple Stage 1 and Cobb Stage 2 kits. They seem to be priced very close and seems to have stock like fitment.

Any pros or cons going with one vs other ? My friend has Whipple on his 2019 and he seems to be pretty happy and truck is running with no issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whipple stage 1, as it also includes trans tuning, it is a big disadvantage that cobb doesnt include trans tuning.

The cobb IC is bigger, which is nice, but requires removal of the shutters.

teamJDM is running a sale on the a similar stage 1 package

https://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-ecoboost-gen-2-raptor-stage-1-upgrade-kit/

I run essentially the team JDM stage 1 package and I am very happy with it.

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple stage 1, as it also includes trans tuning, it is a big disadvantage that cobb doesnt include trans tuning.

The cobb IC is bigger, which is nice, but requires removal of the shutters.

teamJDM is running a sale on the a similar stage 1 package

https://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-ecoboost-gen-2-raptor-stage-1-upgrade-kit/

I run essentially the team JDM stage 1 package and I am very happy with it.

So the JDM kit is essentially using Whipple parts but a different tune ?

I kinda like to buy form companies that been around for a while and known for what they do and I never heard of JDM Team ...

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I kinda like to buy form companies that been around for a while and known for what they do and I never heard of JDM Team ...

Correct on the parts.

I understand you may not have heard of them, but they are far from new and have been tuning Fords for a lot of years.

Either way, I cant speak on Whipples tune as I have never used it personally, but they are well known as well.

I can say Team JDM are active on this forum and Whipple are not.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is our 20th year of business as a Ford Specialty shop. We did thousands of Gen 1 Raptors N/A and Supercharged alike. There are a lot of posts on the Gen 1 forum.

Our tuner was a Calibration Engineer in Michigan for Ford Motor Company before diving into the aftermarket.

He worked with Baja 1000 Factory Ford sponsored teams and was the first to get an E40D to lock up the converter at speeds of over 100 on the dirt and survive in the early 90's.

We are a small shop, but quality and safety are job#1.

Right now we have 4 Cobra Jets here getting R&R'd before NHRA @ Indy, but we have a special interest in Raptors here.

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is our 20th year of business as a Ford Specialty shop. We did thousands of Gen 1 Raptors N/A and Supercharged alike. There are a lot of posts on the Gen 1 forum.

Our tuner was a Calibration Engineer in Michigan for Ford Motor Company before diving into the aftermarket.

He worked with Baja 1000 Factory Ford sponsored teams and was the first to get an E40D to lock up the converter at speeds of over 100 on the dirt and survive in the early 90's.

We are a small shop, but quality and safety are job#1.

Right now we have 4 Cobra Jets here getting R&R'd before NHRA @ Indy, but we have a special interest in Raptors here.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind.

With that being said with the term you guys have and available resources and experience why do you prefer to use Whipple components and just use a different tune ? What is different in your tube vs Whipple ?

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind.

With that being said with the term you guys have and available resources and experience why do you prefer to use Whipple components and just use a different tune ? What is different in your tube vs Whipple ?

You're welcome!

We like the Whipple Air Kit and Intercooler due to their simplicity and ease of install.
The Intercooler retains the fans and shutters leading to OEM level reliability and cooler IAT's.

With our tune v.s. the Whipple tune there are a few key differences:

We tend to have a bit more power with hardly any turbo lag.
We normally peak at 22-23 psi boost, but are very conservative in timing to ensure reliable and safe power.
Depending on ambient conditions we are somewhere 420-430 HP and 520-530 pound feet of torque at the tire on 91 octane.
We also optimize part throttle timing during cruising for an additional 1-3 MPG's

Probably the biggest difference between our tune and the Whipple is the transmission.
We tend to hold each gear longer to keep the truck a bit higher in RPM to further reduce turbo lag, and also keep the engine in a more efficient area.

We also tend to keep shifting in numeric order to eliminate any multi gear jumps, as this reduces amount of work the transmission has to do with every shift. Shifting sequentially with a 10R80 is a simple grab and release affair for 2 clutches reducing heat within the transmission.

With our tune you will never be waiting for the truck to build boost and downshift when say passing or charging up a hill.

Wide open shifts are notably firmer with shift times way reduced. Expect to chirp the tires at WOT on a 1-2 shift and sometimes a 2-3 shift.

2WD Baja mode is a smoke show literally. In the dirt is a blast.
If there is anything else you have questions about, ask away!

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome!

We like the Whipple Air Kit and Intercooler due to their simplicity and ease of install.
The Intercooler retains the fans and shutters leading to OEM level reliability and cooler IAT's.

With our tune v.s. the Whipple tune there are a few key differences:

We tend to have a bit more power with hardly any turbo lag.
We normally peak at 22-23 psi boost, but are very conservative in timing to ensure reliable and safe power.
Depending on ambient conditions we are somewhere 420-430 HP and 520-530 pound feet of torque at the tire on 91 octane.
We also optimize part throttle timing during cruising for an additional 1-3 MPG's

Probably the biggest difference between our tune and the Whipple is the transmission.
We tend to hold each gear longer to keep the truck a bit higher in RPM to further reduce turbo lag, and also keep the engine in a more efficient area.

We also tend to keep shifting in numeric order to eliminate any multi gear jumps, as this reduces amount of work the transmission has to do with every shift. Shifting sequentially with a 10R80 is a simple grab and release affair for 2 clutches reducing heat within the transmission.

With our tune you will never be waiting for the truck to build boost and downshift when say passing or charging up a hill.

Wide open shifts are notably firmer with shift times way reduced. Expect to chirp the tires at WOT on a 1-2 shift and sometimes a 2-3 shift.

2WD Baja mode is a smoke show literally. In the dirt is a blast.
If there is anything else you have questions about, ask away!

How would you compare your kit vs Cobb?

How long have you been running your tune for ? Any reliability issues?

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, COBB does not tune the transmission yet which does leave a lot on the table with these trucks.

Power is cylinder pressure at the right time, so we feel that we have it reliable down pat running a tad more boost.

Our tune was in development for a couple of years as there is a drastic change in computers from 17 to 18+ and we wanted to make sure that when we came to market our tune was solid and dead reliable.

We have probably 300 hours of R&D in the transmission alone in our tune across a few truck locally and 1 in California.

We haven't had any reliability issues, the most issues we have had were from shutter actuators being removed which throws a body code, and a customer having cat inefficiency codes from an aftermarket down pipe.

I have 1 customer that may have an unrelated issue from a faulty BOV, but our tune is rock solid.

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, COBB does not tune the transmission yet which does leave a lot on the table with these trucks.

Power is cylinder pressure at the right time, so we feel that we have it reliable down pat running a tad more boost.

Our tune was in development for a couple of years as there is a drastic change in computers from 17 to 18+ and we wanted to make sure that when we came to market our tune was solid and dead reliable.

We have probably 300 hours of R&D in the transmission alone in our tune across a few truck locally and 1 in California.

We haven't had any reliability issues, the most issues we have had were from shutter actuators being removed which throws a body code, and a customer having cat inefficiency codes from an aftermarket down pipe.

I have 1 customer that may have an unrelated issue from a faulty BOV, but our tune is rock solid.
ok thats good to know. Is your customer in Socal or Norcal? I drove a car with Whipple kit and it definitely picked up more power and was definitely quicker over stock but I can't say it was a drastic change.

If down the line I want to add down pipes or some other mods would you need to tweak your tune?