Cobb Stage 1 - any concern with warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc1972

Reaction score
I installed the Cobb stage 1 with tcm on my 18, and yes it gets rid of the clunky shifting in sports mode that I hated. It really does wake up the truck as well. Very noticible throttle response and smoother shifting in my case. I also added their Red line cold air intake and coolant cover, don’t know if it added any horsepower, but dressed up the engine bay. As far as warranty issues its a risk you take depending on your dealer that you have it serviced, some will be cool about it others might not warranty engine repairs. The Cobb, of the shelf tune is good enough for me for now, might look into goosed tunes If I get bored and want more torque and horsepower. I also installed Cooler plugs the Motorcraft sp542 plugs since I tuned the vehicle. Seems to idle better and haven’t had any misfires while idling. You’re also able to disable the auto start stop feature, put truck in valet mode , and anti theft mode with the Cobb tuner. Hope this helps

adam0311

Reaction score
Edit: I am running a tune, no issues so far. I also have a fairly mod friendly dealer, up to including tunes/minor bolt-ons... Now if I go in with a bigger turbo and the engine is blown up, I pretty much need to accept that loss.

which dealer in SoCal? I bought my truck from Ken Grody (seems mod friendly), but service my truck at AutoNation in Torrance.

CDissing

Reaction score
I bought a truck with Cobb tuning and bought the dealer 5yr. Unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty. So my 18’ Raptor runs amazing and since they sold it this way and offered warranty, feel I am good. Not my job to uninstall, nor do I want to.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Torched pistons and sparkplugs . Broken rods . Catastrophic failures they will look for a tune. Cobb seems safe so far, for me. In AZ summer it really cuts the timing back 120deg ambient temperatures. But there is always the fluke factor where something just let's go just because. Long block and turbos are are $ 6000ish from tasca with shipping . Labor to install plus miscellaneous small parts, gaskets probably a good $10,000 bill total ,I'm sure. If you don't have that kind of cash readily obtainable . I wouldn't mess with a tune.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne, random question realizing this is not an exact science, but your thoughts are appreciated. Suppose a 2019 experienced a cam phaser issue, would the dealer/Ford look for a tune? What’s your take on a cam phaser warranty repair on a tuned but otherwise stock truck? And what’s the approximate price to a customer for a non-warranty phaser repair. Thank you....

Sorry, just seeing this post now. The dealer would have no reason to suspect or look for a tune, since the concern is documented in a TSB. However, I have heard of issues where the Ford scan tool cannot program the PCM because of the tune. So best practice would be to reflash it back to stock before bringing it in.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just seeing this post now. The dealer would have no reason to suspect or look for a tune, since the concern is documented in a TSB. However, I have heard of issues where the Ford scan tool cannot program the PCM because of the tune. So best practice would be to reflash it back to stock before bringing it in.
100% correct. I had my truck in for the new alternator and wanted them to take a look at my turbo gauge on the dash. The Service Manager called me in Vegas, first question, do you have a tune? I said yes. He said their tool won't work with it, and I would have to take it back to stock. I said next time I bring it in, he said no problem. I have a great dealer that takes care of me.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne . Out of curiosity what are the steps a dealer has to do in the event of a catastrophic failure and truck is towed in . Do they hook up to diagnostics? Search for modifications? I Assume the Tech has to find root cause of failure first.