Cobb stage 1 and factory warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Cobb Stage 1 (w/ drop in filter). With the tune, can Ford tell the ECU was reflashed? Even if it’s removed prior to warranty work ? Trying to be discreet , I also have an extended warranty through “The Mechanic” (Assurant)

(PS: I’d search, but our newborn has me exhausted and I’m about to fall asleep )

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Cobb Stage 1 (w/ drop in filter). With the tune, can Ford tell the ECU was reflashed? Even if it’s removed prior to warranty work ? Trying to be discreet , I also have an extended warranty through “The Mechanic” (Assurant)

(PS: I’d search, but our newborn has me exhausted and I’m about to fall asleep )
In short yes, if they dig deep enough they will find it. This isn’t specific to just Cobb. Have to pay to play.

find a good dealer and SA, re flash back to stock before ever bringing back to dealer for anything.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there is something that causes the dealer to look, they will see the flashing in the number of cycles and deny you’re claim.

sure you can flash back to factory but if they see a number power on’s that’s absurdly low, you can for sure expect to be questioned about it. Some dealers in my area don’t care. Some will check. YMMV. A flash back to stock doesn’t guarantee anything if they go looking.

the issue really gets bad if you visit a by the book dealer, they find your tune and then flag your truck. You’ll never be able to have that component/ issue fixed by warranty.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In short yes, if they dig deep enough they will find it. This isn’t specific to just Cobb. Have to pay to play.

find a good dealer and SA, re flash back to stock before ever bringing back to dealer for anything.
If there is something that causes the dealer to look, they will see the flashing in the number of cycles and deny you’re claim.

sure you can flash back to factory but if they see a number power on’s that’s absurdly low, you can for sure expect to be questioned about it. Some dealers in my area don’t care. Some will check. YMMV. A flash back to stock doesn’t guarantee anything if they go looking.

the issue really gets bad if you visit a by the book dealer, they find your tune and then flag your truck. You’ll never be able to have that component/ issue fixed by warranty.

So much incorrect information being provided already in this thread .

The Dealership and/or any Auto Manufacturer may deny warranty work which they directly attribute to an aftermarket modification. Holds true for tunes, suspension mods, and any aftermarket modification.

This isn't unique to the auto industry, it's the basis for virtually all inherent product warranty.

Last edited:

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So much incorrect information being provided already in this thread .

The Dealership and/or any Auto Manufacturer may deny warranty work which they directly attribute to an aftermarket modification. Holds true for tunes, suspension mods, and any aftermarket modification.

This isn't unique to the auto industry, it's the basis for virtually all inherent product warranty.

And what, pray tell was incorrect about what I said? It was, in fact, the same thing you said but gave more specifics on how dealers can find a tune.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You stated that a dealer will deny 'a claim' if there's evidence of flashing or a tune. Is a dealership going to deny warranty work on a seat failure if they see a tune? Is a dealer going to deny engine warranty work if the suspension has been modified? Is a dealer going to deny charging system warranty repairs if they see a tune?

A claim may be denied if it's determined that an aftermarket modification caused it. The dealer or the Manufacturer will establish direct cause and effect when they determine their liability for warranty repairs.

Last edited:

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You stated that a dealer will deny 'a claim' if there's evidence of flashing or a tune. Is a dealership going to deny warranty work on a seat failure if they see a tune? Is a dealer going to deny engine warranty work if the suspension has been modified? Is a dealer going to deny charging system warranty repairs if they see a tune?

A claim may be denied if it's determined that an aftermarket modification caused it. The dealer or the Manufacturer will establish direct cause and effect when they determine their liability for warranty repairs.

I was following the conversation, not making a specific statement. The flow of the conversation was implying that if there is a tune, and an issue that can be attributed or added to an issue, a dealer can look and dig for a tune, or removed tune, and deny a claim if there is an issue.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You stated that a dealer will deny 'a claim' if there's evidence of flashing or a tune.

No I didn’t. Referring to the original post, which asked if he had warranty work and the dealer saw a tune, or removed a tune, a dealer could dent a claim. However, it depends on the issue. They won’t deny a claim for suspension if the engine has a tune. If a turbo goes, and there is a tune, or removed tune, good luck getting that covered.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work within dealership service departments as a consultant, around the process more than directly in it. The dealer wouldn’t warranty related systems if effected by the mod. For example if you swapped in a set of Deavers and had issues with the rear u-joint on the driveshaft failing, or swapped in eibach springs or a collar and had CV issues, an argument could be made that the mod exacerbated the problem by changing factory geometry and the claim could be denied. If you have a tune and the power seat fails the systems are unrelated and there shouldn’t be a problem. Certain things on the engine, like a water pump or alternator, shouldn’t be effected by the tune, but turbos and injectors and the rotating assembly itself would be.

Ford and all of the OEM’s are trying to reduce their warranty liability. Ford has $5 billion in warranty liability currently according to an article I read about the 2021 F-150. They routinely audit the dealers and will back charge them for repairs without proper documentation, not enough time clocked on the repair, cores not returned, or other suspicious circumstances. A bad warranty audit can cost a dealer 6 figures. There is plenty of fraud happening, both intentional and unintentional, costing OEM’s millions.

I’m purchasing a very long extended warranty through Flood Ford to protect my investment and reduce future costs. I’m planning some mods like a set of deaver +2 and a rear bump stop kit, but nothing that would effect the engine warranty. My bigger concern is all of the electronics in the 802A I ordered. I don’t want to be paying for repairs on the climate control system, vehicle dynamics electronics, 360 camera, etc. The live valve shocks and 10 speed trans are also big ticket items, hopefully Deavers wouldn’t effect the warranty on the rear shocks.