Cobb Intercooler boost question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Cobb intercooler on my 23 model. The wye coupler was leaking on 3" end no matter how tight and straight I got the coupler on so I had to double clamp it just on 3'' side. Almost seems like a flat spot on matting surface. I pressure tested and no more leaks but I am curious how the stock boost is on stock trucks as I havent had this long enough to pay attention to.
I see 14 PSI at low rpm under wide open low rpm but then it drops all the way to 6 PSI in upper rpm.
I do have 86 octane in truck since dealer filler it up but curious if it should hold higher boost without dropping.
May be a octane issue or does it needs tuning?

Last edited:

ATXraptor75

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Cobb intercooler on my 23 model. The wye coupler was leaking on 3" end no matter how tight and straight I got the coupler on so I had to double clamp it just on 3'' side. Almost seems like a flat spot on matting surface. I pressure tested and no more leaks but I am curious how the stock boost is on stock trucks as I havent had this long enough to pay attention to.
I see 14 PSI at low rpm under wide open low rpm but then it drops all the way to 6 PSI in upper rpm.
I do have 86 octane in truck since dealer filler it up but curious if it should hold higher boost without dropping.
May be a octane issue or does it needs tuning?
I know this isn’t the answer to your question but how did you do the pressure test?

Bluu

Reaction score
I had a lead around my stock BOV when I first installed the Cobb I/C. A little extra grease around the o-ring seemed to fix the issue.

I currently see ~19psi (+ or - 1psi) when the boost first kicks in, then around 5,000rpms the boost drops off and ends up around ~14-15psi just before redline. The truck dyno's 399hp and 493tq with just the Cobb IC, which is normal, so I figured I did not have any additional boost leaks.

Attachments

• PXL_20221028_190153575_2.mp4
    10.9 MB
OP
OP
James O

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isn’t the answer to your question but how did you do the pressure test?
I put a 4" expansion plug on air intake tube where it connects to air box and pressurized it with a quick connect fitting that fits one of the vacuum ports. I was just adding enough to get leaks to show up.
I can hear another one somewhere that shows up about 6 PSI.
I will have to cap off the high pressure sides and cap off before throttle body next time to test it to 12 PSI. The air intake side is not for pressure.

OP
OP
James O

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lead around my stock BOV when I first installed the Cobb I/C. A little extra grease around the o-ring seemed to fix the issue.

I currently see ~19psi (+ or - 1psi) when the boost first kicks in, then around 5,000rpms the boost drops off and ends up around ~14-15psi just before redline. The truck dyno's 399hp and 493tq with just the Cobb IC, which is normal, so I figured I did not have any additional boost leaks.
Thats probably where my current leak is at. I need to do another test when its not so windy.
I want to get it ironed out where there is no leaks and just wait on GooseTuned to release Gen 3 tuning.