Clunking sound when turning and braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been chasing a clunk for a few months now and I'm not having any luck. I get an intermittent clunk when turning at speed, like a normal left/right turn off a traffic light. It also happens at hard braking. It generally does it a few times and then stops and sounds like it's coming from the rear of the truck. I have rolled around under there and there's nothing obvious that seems loose or worn out. i'm thinking its suspension related since it seems to happen during up travel when the truck rolls to the side during turns and when the rear comes up during hard braking. The inconsistency is making it really tough to pin point. If i hit the brakes hard and make the front end dive, it'll clunk a few times, but if i let off and do it again, i get nothing. It also doesn't happen at slow speeds turning, like pulling into a parking space or driving around a parking lot. I'm curious if anyone has encountered this or has any ideas of what to check. I can't replicate it in the driveway and even if i swerve back and forth to get the truck to roll side to side it won't do it. Only while turning and hard braking. Also, if i do a few consecutive turns it only does it on the first one. I'm wondering if it's something internal with the shocks when the fluid cools down it clunks but after they cycle a few times it warms up and stays quiet? Shocks were rebuilt and probably have 60k on them with light off-roading but before i drop $700+ on new shocks i'd like to check anything else. Truck drives fine other than the clunking and it's hard to tell if it clunks over bumps or not. Sway bar ends were replaced in the last 6 months so i don't think thats the culprit either but i will remove it and see if that cures the problem. I've also removed the frame weight on the drivers side frame rail so thats not the culprit either. Any suggestions or advice is welcomed.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the driveshaft and lube the splines today as well as remove the sway bar and see if that helps. Those chassis ears are pretty neat though. I've never heard of that tool before and might be a game changer for finding rattles and clunks on our trucks. A lot better than hanging off the side steps trying to watch the front suspension while driving...lol

emerald_nomad - RLTW

Reaction score
If you have a GoPro secure it in the fender well and go for a drive. It might help you narrow down where the sound is coming from or it might even show you what's going on

Gryphon313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same clunk on mine. Happens almost every time I turn in off the road when I get to work. Hard right, slight uphill. Thought it was something in my bed rolling around at first. No luck finding loose suspension components.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just lgreased up the slip yoke on the driveshaft today and drove to the post office. had no clunking at all. I really hope this was the fix but i'll know in a few days if its gone for real.