Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FREEZE451

Reaction score
I just had my two rears replaced. Appoint on November 23, 2022 confirmed rears where bad. Just replaced on 1/27/2023.

They said one solenoid was not delivered, so they swapped that, which doesn't matter to me as it's not making the noise. The sound is gone, so that's a plus.

Love not hearing the clunk.

cmstric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone describe the sound? I seem to hear something from the rear. Not sure if I’m paranoid bc of everyone reporting the same issue or if I truly have it. Seems like a hollow sound. I also can create a thumping on both shocks if I jump on rear bumper up and down.

trentp

Reaction score
Dealer replaced the rears on my truck and the clunking got much better, I still have the noise though which must be coming from the front. The other day while swapping springs I noticed the top cap on one of my shocks (the cap that’s on the shaft end of the shock body) was loose. I don’t know if that has anything to do with the clunking but maybe someone else with the clunk can check to see if theirs is loose too. You can reach it between the spring coils to check is it’s tight or not.

Here is a video of what I am talking about: Front shock cap loose

slater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is there any issue known for trucks outside of the date range given? My truck clunks/rattles under 20mph on small bumps/potholes/pavement cracks. The dealership says they hear it and tested 2 other new raptors they had on the lot and those appear to be making the same noise. So their opinion is that the noise is normal. Do we know for sure which part #s are affected in the production time frame? Its quite annoying but they were unwilling to do any other investigation due to the fact my truck was built after the cut-off window.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is there any issue known for trucks outside of the date range given? My truck clunks/rattles under 20mph on small bumps/potholes/pavement cracks. The dealership says they hear it and tested 2 other new raptors they had on the lot and those appear to be making the same noise. So their opinion is that the noise is normal. Do we know for sure which part #s are affected in the production time frame? Its quite annoying but they were unwilling to do any other investigation due to the fact my truck was built after the cut-off window.
No service messages for trucks built after the 6/16/22 cutoff.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had all 4 replaced. No more clunk. Took me three trips to the dealership. Had to get the service manager to ride along with me. initially they told me that this was normal due to the beefy suspension. Told them that it has been doing it from day one and that I went to Raptor assault and the truck I drove did not do it.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my two rears replaced. Appoint on November 23, 2022 confirmed rears where bad. Just replaced on 1/27/2023.

They said one solenoid was not delivered, so they swapped that, which doesn't matter to me as it's not making the noise. The sound is gone, so that's a plus.

Love not hearing the clunk.
Where are you located in ND? I am in Bismarck...

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After waiting almost 5 weeks for the rear shocks to come in, I dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning and got a phone call at around 1pm that they ordered the wrong shocks. Something happened and they ordered the fronts again instead of the rears and now I'm supposed to wait on the rear replacements which are on backorder indefinitely AGAIN.. I'm beyond pissed and so tired of dealing with incompetence. I'm seriously considering getting rid of this truck at this point. If it had come from factory with the suspension fixed I wouldn't ever consider trading but having to fight to get this replaced and the waiting game is really ruining the ownership experience. Ford sucks on many levels right now.

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After waiting almost 5 weeks for the rear shocks to come in, I dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning and got a phone call at around 1pm that they ordered the wrong shocks. Something happened and they ordered the fronts again instead of the rears and now I'm supposed to wait on the rear replacements which are on backorder indefinitely AGAIN.. I'm beyond pissed and so tired of dealing with incompetence. I'm seriously considering getting rid of this truck at this point. If it had come from factory with the suspension fixed I wouldn't ever consider trading but having to fight to get this replaced and the waiting game is really ruining the ownership experience. Ford sucks on many levels right now.
Mine went in Saturday for the front right. Do you mind me asking what city your located in case my dealer ordered the wrong shocks as well? IE they could transfer etc. since you will not need them. Thx