Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’m halfway there. Front struts are replaced and the front feels much firmer. I’m still getting the noise from the rear so I will have to make another appointment.
Here is the work order with part numbers for the front struts for a 37 package.

Thanks! One thing I found interesting is that the AL version of the strut retails for around $1k while the AN version retails for $1,500. Not sure what the difference is other than the side they go on but somethings gotta make it cost another $500..

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
Update on my front noise/clunk. After driving 100 miles or so, the right front seems like it is still clunking. The left side does seem to be quieter now. The clunk doesn’t occur on the same bumps as it used to, and it’s not as bad as before, but I’m definitely hearing more noise from the right front. Of course I still have the noise in the rear. I’m going to put the chassis ears back on all 4 corners to see what’s going on.
With the chassis ears on and going over the same bumps that I used in my past videos, the left front still has a little noise but is much quieter than before. The right front is the same, if not worse than before. The rears are very noticeable with chassis ears.

Last edited:

Jdselig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’m halfway there. Front struts are replaced and the front feels much firmer. I’m still getting the noise from the rear so I will have to make another appointment.
Here is the work order with part numbers for the front struts for a 37 package.
After putting on some more miles myself I’m have the same issue. I had a rear shock replaced over month ago. Made no noticeable difference over the terrible fronts. Had both fronts replaced last week. Made a huge difference. The front feels tight and clunk free. But now I notice a clunk from the rear. I’m assuming this is from the one remaining original shock.

I will say this. Given what we know about this being an issue before a certain date of manufacture. I think it’s safe to say this was a manufacturing issue on all shocks produced during this time. I find it hard to believe it’s just certain random shocks. I believe it’s all shocks produced before a certain date. This means Ford needs to save us a lot of time and headaches and just replace all 4 shocks on the truck. I now have to return for a 5th and sixth time for the dealer to confirm the noise. Order the shock and then replace it. I don’t have the time for this. I’m getting very frustrated with the process and the truck. My dealer is 45 minutes away one way.

I do have a regular 2023 and R on order. I’m also not excited with all the 2023 deletes. One of the items by itself no problem.. but all of them missing from an 80k truck kind of ****** me off. I’m just about ready to go back to Ram. I had just a regular Ram before the this Raptor and really really liked it. Rode and drove really nice. Zero issues. Makes me wonder how much I would like a TRX. I’m getting very close to crossing to the dark side. I think Ford is really f$&king themselves right now.

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
I had enough trouble getting my fronts replaced, now one of those new ones is making noise. I know I’ll have an even tougher time getting that one replaced again. I’m still trying to get the dealer to replace the rears as well.
I guess as long as people are placing orders for these trucks, Ford doesn’t have to care too much about customers that are having issues.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had enough trouble getting my fronts replaced, now one of those new ones is making noise. I know I’ll have an even tougher time getting that one replaced again. I’m still trying to get the dealer to replace the rears as well.
I guess as long as people are placing orders for these trucks, Ford doesn’t have to care too much about customers that are having issues.
My biggest gripe is the fact that we can’t test drive these trucks before purchase and Ford knows that. We’re paying out the ass for a specialty vehicle and the dealers could care less if we’re satisfied with our purchase.

Ford isn’t going to do a mass recall to replace all shocks unless there’s a significant failure, right now it’s basically just crappy ride quality.

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
I found something interesting just a moment ago. The part numbers on my new front struts don’t match the part numbers on my invoice. Also, if I Google the part numbers from my invoice, the parts catalogs show that those numbers replace the part numbers that are currently installed on my truck.

Attachments

• 9C971BB3-14CA-4E96-9540-80270B2A8E55.jpeg
    9C971BB3-14CA-4E96-9540-80270B2A8E55.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 36
  • D60966F8-67E1-4611-87A5-A68CA872975D.jpeg
    D60966F8-67E1-4611-87A5-A68CA872975D.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 13EEB036-97A7-4E75-9591-83D43CF8CBEF.jpeg
    13EEB036-97A7-4E75-9591-83D43CF8CBEF.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 34
  • CD57B68E-DF2C-4FBE-A3D8-516500EF6BDE.jpeg
    CD57B68E-DF2C-4FBE-A3D8-516500EF6BDE.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 39

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I found something interesting just a moment ago. The part numbers on my new front struts don’t match the part numbers on my invoice. Also, if I Google the part numbers from my invoice, the parts catalogs show that those numbers replace the part numbers that are currently installed on my truck.
Someone has some 'splainin to do. Looks like you superseded parts?

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
Someone has some 'splainin to do. Looks like you superseded parts?
I wish Ford would have said in the bulletin which part number to use. But either way, my invoice has one part number while the part has another number, which looks to be an older number. That explains why mine still clunks in the front.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I wish Ford would have said in the bulletin which part number to use. But either way, my invoice has one part number while the part has another number, which looks to be an older number. That explains why mine still clunks in the front.
I checked my June build, it has AH shocks, seems okay. I will check my wife's August build when she gets home.