Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a feeling I posted this is the wrong thread. Wasn’t sure if they were somehow tied together.

Truck has 1.5 collars installed. Other than that, it’s stock.
Well that might explain it. Installing collars changes ride height, which can cause noise from the control arm bushings. When any lift is installed the upper and lower control arm bushing bolts should be loosened and retorqued with the weight of the truck on the suspension to eliminate any binding.

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
Just got a text from my dealer…..they finally listened to me and the directions in the SMM and found the right front shock to be the cause of my “clunk”. New shock has been ordered and hoping to have my truck back this week.

msharpe08

Reaction score
My 21 on 37's was at the dealer the majority of the day today to have the shocks looked at and to see if they could determine the annoying vibration in the gas pedal. They determined 3 shocks need to be replaced and want to reevaluate the gas pedal vibration after the shocks are replaced. I'm glad the shock issue is finally being addressed and the pedal vibration was acknowledged. Both issues are very annoying, but the pedal vibration is nails on a chalkboard for me.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not the same type of clunk I have on my Gen3. It's not easy to explain but it is more of a dull thud than that. I have tried to take videos like that and the sound doesn't come through in the audio. My videos just have tire noise. But imagine dropping a tire from a few inches off the ground and that would be closer to the noise I hear from in the truck.

That video has 3 distinct sounds. The tires hitting the bump in the road, the shocks compressing, and then the sharp clanking of metal. I think the noise I get on video is tire impacting the bump in the road and a similar dull tone to the tire impact, but it's a "clunk/thud" and looseness feel from the suspension and through the floorboard and pedal.

I'm certain mine is front and back, but I haven't had it in the shop since the memo was put out by ford because I have parts on order to do a repair to the front axle seal that we are waiting on.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine in for two days of service and the shop can't replicate the issue. They didn't conduct an NVH test with Chassis Ears and said they would only do that once they actually felt what I was feeling. Super frustrating. I'm going to take the truck back and drive the shit out of it until it's so noticeable they can't deny it. Not sure what else to do at this point.

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
I've had mine in for two days of service and the shop can't replicate the issue. They didn't conduct an NVH test with Chassis Ears and said they would only do that once they actually felt what I was feeling. Super frustrating. I'm going to take the truck back and drive the shit out of it until it's so noticeable they can't deny it. Not sure what else to do at this point.
Did you show them the video posted in this thread earlier and give them the SSM? My dealer couldn't replicate mine either. But, after showing them the SSM, took the truck back to them and the followed the SSM (which includes chassis ears). The determined that my right front shock is bad and it is being replaced as I type this message.

If that doesn't work....take it to a different dealer.

Dalejbrass

Reaction score
My dealer just texted that I won't be picking up my truck today (as I hoped)....because they found a bad IWE (4wheel drive actuator). It's supposed to be there Friday.

I hate not having my truck, but excited that a solution is finally being remedied. Hopeful it will drive the way I expect once returned!

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
Mine is currently at another dealer. They called today and said they couldn’t duplicate so I gave them SSM and sent them my video. I haven’t heard back yet.