Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be the cynic here (apologize didn't read every single comment) but it's nice people can easily replicate the issue by jumping on bumpers or alike but why such a dependacy on the dealer to fix? I get the paid $80k on a truck and it should work but why not take a day to do hands on troubleshooting ones self e.g.,

Check for play in the shocks, move it around, loosen/tighten bolts.
Remove various swaybar links, test, reinstall, etc.
Do the typical farmer/backyard engineer of grabbing/yanking these to try and find something loose?

Ultimately, it sounds like the dealer "thinks" it's the shocks, very well could be seems odd to me. Being it's a whole new rear end design maybe it's a component of the 5-link or impropertly TQ'd components, Ford QC has been FAR from perfect lately. Either way, I'm sure a few hours of hands dirty tightening/loosing a few bolts will probably go 100x further than 3/4 of what the average Ford Tech will do. Especially if it's the, "oh it's on backorder come back in a year" answer. I'd wan't to make 100% sure it's indeed the shock before wasting that much time and effort waiting on backordered components that may or may not fix the issue.

Thamac15

Reaction score
Not to be the cynic here (apologize didn't read every single comment) but it's nice people can easily replicate the issue by jumping on bumpers or alike but why such a dependacy on the dealer to fix? I get the paid $80k on a truck and it should work but why not take a day to do hands on troubleshooting ones self e.g.,

Check for play in the shocks, move it around, loosen/tighten bolts.
Remove various swaybar links, test, reinstall, etc.
Do the typical farmer/backyard engineer of grabbing/yanking these to try and find something loose?

Ultimately, it sounds like the dealer "thinks" it's the shocks, very well could be seems odd to me. Being it's a whole new rear end design maybe it's a component of the 5-link or impropertly TQ'd components, Ford QC has been FAR from perfect lately. Either way, I'm sure a few hours of hands dirty tightening/loosing a few bolts will probably go 100x further than 3/4 of what the average Ford Tech will do. Especially if it's the, "oh it's on backorder come back in a year" answer. I'd wan't to make 100% sure it's indeed the shock before wasting that much time and effort waiting on backordered components that may or may not fix the issue.
Go read every comment, some have done many things to duplicate and then troubleshoot.

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go read every comment, some have done many things to duplicate and then troubleshoot.
Okay, I went and read every comment.

I still haven't seen any information on if anyone had went through and actually removed certain items like swaybar endlinks, drove around (seen members post they were but haven't seen a follow up). Check TQ on bolts specific to that area. Removed a shock to actually see if that clunk is internal or external via mounting points. Took a close look at mounting points to see maybe an improper bushing, spacer, washer, bolt, etc. was used. That's the type of troubleshooting I'm referring to. Granted, for some the idea of doing that isn't ideal. If I had a Raptor in my hands I'd be happily doing that. I enjoy taking stuff apart and doing some root cause analysis at least to assist or narrow down the troubled part before dealer visit. I also don't trust dealers and general level techs to find that stuff first try...it almost always taking weeks and multiple visits and SA's throwing darts at a board until a part fixes is. Not the most defined approach to say the least.

I seen one guy mention he already got a fixed shock and that didn't fix it. So in my eyes, 90% of this thread already got debunked and the many individuals that are waiting on shock replacement to fix the issue the one member already got his replaced and no change (back on Pg. 10 I believe).

Ultimately, reading this whole thread there are either multiple issues with similar symptoms OR the current "shock is bad" notion isn't actually the issue. Personally, I'd be rather surpised to see that many high end Fox Shocks bad from the factory or have a design defect. Either way, as a prospective buyer it's a bit concerning issues like this are that prevalent. Could be worse, RAM guys are dealing with their 5.7 HEMI's magically dying in the middle of intersections stuck in gear with their dash lighting up like a christmas tree. Imagine the lawsuit that will happen when somebody gets hurt because of that...

Last edited:

Thamac15

Reaction score
Okay, I went and read every comment.

I still haven't seen any information on if anyone had went through and actually removed certain items like swaybar endlinks, drove around (seen members post they were but haven't seen a follow up). Check TQ on bolts specific to that area. Removed a shock to actually see if that clunk is internal or external via mounting points. Took a close look at mounting points to see maybe an improper bushing, spacer, washer, bolt, etc. was used. That's the type of troubleshooting I'm referring to. Granted, for some the idea of doing that isn't ideal. If I had a Raptor in my hands I'd be happily doing that. As an engineer that worked in automative applications I enjoy taking stuff apart and doing some root cause analysis at least to assist or narrow down the troubled part before dealer visit. I also don't trust dealers and general level techs to find that stuff first try...it almost always taking weeks and multiple visits and SA's throwing darts at a board until a part fixes is. Not the most defined approach to say the least.

I seen one guy mention he already got a fixed shock and that didn't fix it. So in my eyes, 90% of this thread already got debunked and the many individuals that are waiting on shock replacement to fix the issue the one member already got his replaced and no change (back on Pg. 10 I believe).

Ultimately, reading this whole thread there are either multiple issues with similar symptoms OR the current "shock is bad" notion isn't actually the issue. Personally, I'd be rather surpised to see that many high end Fox Shocks bad from the factory or have a design defect. Either way, as a prospective buyer it's a bit concerning issues like this are that prevalent. Could be worse, RAM guys are dealing with their 5.7 HEMI's magically dying in the middle of intersections stuck in gear with their dash lighting up like a christmas tree. Imagine the lawsuit that will happen when somebody gets hurt because of that...
There are two threads, one here and one in general discussion. I’m not taking mine apart, while being an aircraft and diesel mechanic for 20 years now and fully capable, I’ve found zero degradation while driving nor off roading in the southern New Mexico desert/mountain crawling. Performas beyond expectations. Coming out of a 17 f250 the last four years, I didn’t even notice it until I read the threads. Super duty trucks clunk all over the place so nothing new for me!

Feel free to get with someone loacally that has a gen 3 clunk and tear it apart for all of us.

Ryan33

Reaction score
Mine is at the dealership for the 3rd time. They finally agree that the noise/vibration at lower speeds is NOT NORMAL. Bouncing on the rear bumper will cause a popping sound that was traced back to the rear driver side SHOCK. Awaiting FORD Tech to advise. I truly believe the more of us GEN 3 owners that report the issue and take to the dealership, FORD will start to realize that something is F***** up. We're better in numbers guys/gals.

Enrique Villalobos

Reaction score
Mine is at the dealership for the 3rd time. They finally agree that the noise/vibration at lower speeds is NOT NORMAL. Bouncing on the rear bumper will cause a popping sound that was traced back to the rear driver side SHOCK. Awaiting FORD Tech to advise. I truly believe the more of us GEN 3 owners that report the issue and take to the dealership, FORD will start to realize that something is F***** up. We're better in numbers guys/gals.
You’re absolutely right…the more complaints the better chance we have to have this fixed with a TSB.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have continued to try and isolate this problem, and after listening and testing over the past couple of weeks, I have narrowed down when my truck produces the clunk. First, it is definitely NOT coming from the rear, so the rear shocks being the culprit (for me) in not possible.

The clunk happens over abrupt small to medium impacts like ripples in the pavement or small potholes. This happens at basically any speed over 15-20mph. However, it does NOT happen when a significant amount of suspension travel takes place - when I am off the pavement. All of that brings me to believe that the front shocks likely aren't the issue - it seems more like something is loose or that the sway bar end links or something like that are the actual issue.

And finally, to further confuse the issue, my truck only replicates the clunking on the passenger side. When I hit the same bumps on the driver's side only, it feels as solid as my G2 was...

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I did want to share my experience thus far.
This is consistent with my own experience, except I haven't noticed it being specific to the passenger side, I'll have to look out for that.

I went over the front suspension by hand looking for things that were obviously loose or out of place, finding nothing, but I did not start removing components and re-torquing bolts.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've nailed it. I'm at 5,200 miles and the clunk has persisted the entire time exactly as you describe. I'm scheduling my first service soon so we'll see what my guys have to say.
For reference, I am at 7500 miles, and the clunk has been consistent since day 1. I have not had the chance to get mine into a service department yet. And, I was really trying to narrow down the potential issue so I could give the techs as much information as possible. I had no interest in waiting a year to replace a shock that I never felt was the problem. If you get your truck in before me, please post your results.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is identical to mine except it doesn’t matter the speed. Coming out of my driveway at 1 mph will have the clunk.
I have not noticed it at speeds that low. It's possible the clunk may be present in my truck at a speed lower than 15-20mph, but if it does, it isn't nearly as apparent. Regardless, the most likely scenario is that we are all suffering from the same issue and experiencing or interpreting it a little differently.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
Ultimately, it sounds like the dealer "thinks" it's the shocks, very well could be seems odd to me. Being it's a whole new rear end design maybe it's a component of the 5-link or impropertly TQ'd components, Ford QC has been FAR from perfect lately. Either way, I'm sure a few hours of hands dirty tightening/loosing a few bolts will probably go 100x further than 3/4 of what the average Ford Tech will do. Especially if it's the, "oh it's on backorder come back in a year" answer. I'd wan't to make 100% sure it's indeed the shock
I started this thread. They isolated the sound to my rear shock with a listening device. They torqued all on the suspension components including the rear shock mounting points.drove it… same noise. They removed the right rear shock and drove it. No noise. Put it back on, noise came back. The Raptor tech at my dealership is very good and thorough. There is no doubt that the right rear shock is bad. And there is still no news on a parts availability.

Diagnosis of the problem is now very easy thanks to this thread and the other one on the general discussion.

So far there are three sources of different noise problems reported on the forum by owners.
1. Noisy rear shock (many effected)
2. Front drive shaft extensive play (fewer effected)
3. Front sway bar endlink/bushings (very small number effected)

Only #1 above is parts constrained where nothing can be done at this time.