Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably just pop the wiper off the post and reposition it. There are marks on the windshield that show where it should "rest", the tech was probably just sloppy.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably true, but I think I'm going to take it back in just to be petty about it. Maybe I'm being a bltch about it but they also installed my tonneau cover incredibly poorly last appointment. It was a due bill item and when I picked the truck up they had tightened one of the 4 clamp bolts down, the other 3 were just kind of resting in the position they were in with no effort to snug them up to the bed rail.

They've also told me twice that the fan noise from the back seat is normal operating noise even after I provided them with the SSM 50167 information. But I suspect they may have done the reprogram of the module because I no longer hear the fan noise after picking it up yesterday. My paperwork still says it is normal and doesn't mention it being addressed. Who knows.

And they can't replicate my exhaust tick even though it happens every time I start the truck after 10 minutes of off time and it doesn't sound quite normal when it is warmed up. The driving clip is after a 40 minute drive, and the dark idle clip is 45 minutes later.

Trying to stay level headed about it all and not act like an asss, but man, I'd like to at least feel like they're working with me a little bit.

CoolrainRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably true, but I think I'm going to take it back in just to be petty about it. Maybe I'm being a bltch about it but they also installed my tonneau cover incredibly poorly last appointment. It was a due bill item and when I picked the truck up they had tightened one of the 4 clamp bolts down, the other 3 were just kind of resting in the position they were in with no effort to snug them up to the bed rail.

They've also told me twice that the fan noise from the back seat is normal operating noise even after I provided them with the SSM 50167 information. But I suspect they may have done the reprogram of the module because I no longer hear the fan noise after picking it up yesterday. My paperwork still says it is normal and doesn't mention it being addressed. Who knows.

And they can't replicate my exhaust tick even though it happens every time I start the truck after 10 minutes of off time and it doesn't sound quite normal when it is warmed up. The driving clip is after a 40 minute drive, and the dark idle clip is 45 minutes later.

Trying to stay level headed about it all and not act like an asss, but man, I'd like to at least feel like they're working with me a little bit.
lots of Ford dealers along 99 - time to switch

Jaketor

Reaction score
55k miles on Gen2, 1200 miles on Gen3, first 2 minutes of driving it I was like "yep that must be the clunking they're talking about on the forum."
Makes me feel better that it's "normal" because of all the reports on here. Kinda sorta makes me feel better lol.
Jumping on rear bumper that clunking noise is very very similar to what you hear when driving. But not the same. Jumping on the front bumper I don't hear anything similar.
Front driveshaft slop is making the most sense to me. I don't think it's the shocks, this is a mystery.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a guy last week that owns a blue 35 and he told me R/R shock has the noise you describe. He said the dealer ordered a new shock with no ETA.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have continued to try and isolate this problem, and after listening and testing over the past couple of weeks, I have narrowed down when my truck produces the clunk. First, it is definitely NOT coming from the rear, so the rear shocks being the culprit (for me) is not possible.

The clunk happens over abrupt small to medium impacts like ripples in the pavement or small potholes. This happens at basically any speed over 15-20mph. However, it does NOT happen when a significant amount of suspension travel takes place - when I am off the pavement. All of that brings me to believe that the front shocks likely aren't the issue - it seems more like something is loose or that the sway bar end links or something like that are the actual issue.

And finally, to further confuse the issue, my truck only replicates the clunking on the passenger side. When I hit the same bumps on the driver's side only, it feels as solid as my G2 was...

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I did want to share my experience thus far.

Last edited:

Thamac15

Reaction score
I have continued to try and isolate this problem, and after listening and testing over the past couple of weeks, I have narrowed down when my truck produces the clunk. First, it is definitely NOT coming from the rear, so the rear shocks being the culprit (for me) in not possible.

The clunk happens over abrupt small to medium impacts like ripples in the pavement or small potholes. This happens at basically any speed over 15-20mph. However, it does NOT happen when a significant amount of suspension travel takes place - when I am off the pavement. All of that brings me to believe that the front shocks likely aren't the issue - it seems more like something is loose or that the sway bar end links or something like that are the actual issue.

And finally, to further confuse the issue, my truck only replicates the clunking on the passenger side. When I hit the same bumps on the driver's side only, it feels as solid as my G2 was...

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I did want to share my experience thus far.
This is identical to mine except it doesn’t matter the speed. Coming out of my driveway at 1 mph will have the clunk.

JCU Delt Ox

Reaction score
I have continued to try and isolate this problem, and after listening and testing over the past couple of weeks, I have narrowed down when my truck produces the clunk. First, it is definitely NOT coming from the rear, so the rear shocks being the culprit (for me) in not possible.

I think you've nailed it. I'm at 5,200 miles and the clunk has persisted the entire time exactly as you describe. I'm scheduling my first service soon so we'll see what my guys have to say.