Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
Well maybe you are right! I recorded a video of my clunk as well. I can get the sound to start even bouncing the front end using the bumper or running board but the actual noise is coming from the rear. So I guess that’s why I hear the clunk even when the front suspension hits a bump. Keep us posted if new shocks, whenever you get them fixes it. Hope they don’t say “this is normal for the new rear suspension.”
That is the sound. Not sure why the dealer needed all that fancy listening equipment to diagnose it when a simple jumping up and down on the rear bumper makes it so obvious.

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when jumping on the rear bumper, do you guys have the trucks on/running?
or does the sound change if the truck is running?

curious if it’s an electronic Issue with the dampening not changing or if it’s just a bad internal part.

headed to the garage to jump on mine…

trentp

Reaction score
Finally got mine into the dealer. They ordered a new shock, like others have said they are back ordered. I’m hoping it’s not more than one shock on mine because they only ordered a replacement for the right rear.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got mine into the dealer. They ordered a new shock, like others have said they are back ordered. I’m hoping it’s not more than one shock on mine because they only ordered a replacement for the right rear.
how did they figure out that the shock was bad? was it just the noise that caused them to say it was bad?

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
when jumping on the rear bumper, do you guys have the trucks on/running?
or does the sound change if the truck is running?

curious if it’s an electronic Issue with the dampening not changing or if it’s just a bad internal part.

headed to the garage to jump on mine…
Mine makes the same noise. Running, in Baja, but n sport, in normal, and with the car off. I think it’s in the mount but it’s hard to tell. Could be inside the shock.

katchup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very annoying at slow speeds, but rides smooth in the freeway. Hopefully someone gets answers, I dont want to drop my truck off and just let them tear it apart guessing.

trentp

Reaction score
how did they figure out that the shock was bad? was it just the noise that caused them to say it was bad?
Just the noise. I sure hope that’s actually it but I have spent a while banging and shaking things and that’s the only component making noise, so I hope the shock fixes it.

20174x4

Reaction score
I have same issue with 35. Reminds me of two sounds. Similar to hitch receiver clunking when towing. And also similar to my gen2 when a sway bar bushing was bad. Bouncing on bumper reproduces it. One would think it would be a mount issue based on the sound. Now to tie up a day having dealership look at it or wait till oil change in 5 months and be annoyed the entire time.

Jsousa67

Reaction score
My Gen 3 started clunking as I left the dealership parking lot.Going in on the 15th to have it fixed also I work at the dealership that is fixing and they hate when I tell them what to look at.