Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRptr

Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off a few days ago (‘22 35” within the blend dates of candidate bad trucks) and today had to go test drive with the tech to point out the noise.

Frustrating to have to baby step through this process with a dealership. The truck is so loud sometimes over bumps and potholes / divets that even the wife asked “what’s wrong with your truck”. Can feel vibration in pedal and wheel. Pretty sure it’s passenger front and both rears, but admitted to service rep and tech that I wasn’t confident in what exactly, so I was hopeful they’d be able to diagnose better with the right tools (chassis ears, NVH diagnosis…)

But the whole time it feels like I have to make them believe I’m not just crazy. Why would I drop my $90k truck off for a week or longer for you to diagnose a problem and not even ask for a loaner or anything? My payment doesn’t stop…and I don’t get to drive a raptor. So just stop with the games and use your diagnostic tools to help me pinpoint the source of the issue.

I even (after the initial call of “we rode in it and didn’t hear anything”) pointed out the SSM 50972 and how this seems to be somewhat prevalent in those trucks within the build date window, but unsure to what degree. I also admitted I’m only looking to get the suspected shocks / components fixed, not trying to fleece ford out of a new 4 corner set (even though god knows we deserve it for the prices these days)….

Rant over. I know some of you deal with much worse but I wish dealers and service centers could have a come to Jesus moment and start treating buyers and future buyers with a modicum of respect and honesty.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after a failed attempt at the closest dealership (I know the owner) I made an appt for a dealership that has the same owner as where I purchased my 2020 and 2022, they had me in and out within 24 hours, confirmed the rear shocks are the bad ones and ordered them. Now they are on backorder but atleast I was able to have a competent dealer help out. They were also running a buy 3 get 1 free on tires so I swapped out my 37 KO2 for 37 KM3 and then used points for one of the tires. Not bad, officially paid out of pocket for 3 and got 5.

Attachments

• 0D4A13B1-20B7-4F8B-B355-6A7489EE5436.jpeg
    0D4A13B1-20B7-4F8B-B355-6A7489EE5436.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 3CD82C77-A276-4DDB-B0B5-C0CAE1CB07CC.jpeg
    3CD82C77-A276-4DDB-B0B5-C0CAE1CB07CC.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 23

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some states actually have lemon laws that say within the first year or two of ownership, if the vehicle had been in the shop for more than 30 days total then it’s considered a lemon. That’s actually the case for Maryland and how I got ford to buy back my first GT350.
Yes I had thought about it, but it has been many issues and not just the same issue. In Indiana that's where it gets muddy as well, I just paid to put Eibachs on the truck as part of the warranty shock replacement. Additionally, I am very grateful that I received this truck so early (07/28/21 Blend Date) and I knew being an early build it could have BUGS, but I have thoroughly enjoyed driving it! As I reflect on the discussions in this tread, I believe part of my problem is my dealer's service department.

Going forward if the Braptor gets built & delivered in a timely manner I'll probably try a different service department.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer today. Honesty I want all 4 new shocks. I feel like if it's one side only (for example the passenger side rear) that side will now perform better than the driver's side. I would replace the shocks on my Jeep myself every 40k miles because of heavy off-road use. You can feel the difference when one is brand new and the other has 40k miles on it. Go over a speed bump on an angle and you can feel the new shock vs the old one.

We will see and I will update the thread today when I get the callback. It's also in for the HVAC issue, wrinkled leather seats and my center console lid for where the phone can charge clunks shut from the factory. I have 15k on the truck now

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So dropped off the truck in the morning. The service advisor calls me around 3 pm and says they tried everything and can't hear the clunk. I politely ask if I could provide him with SSM 50972. He says sure and he will call me back after he looks it up. I had an appointment so they left the vehicle for me to pick up in the lot with the paperwork. It just states the following below. I know the discussion in previous posts states not to provide TSB and SSM numbers but they wasted all day on this and never made it to my HVAC issue. It appears I am only getting 1 shock replaced which is what I feared and wrote about in the above post. If all 4 shocks are bad, it seems like it's going to take 4 trips to the dealer to get it fixed.

Does anyone know the part number for which shock this is? It appears to be a rear and that's my best guess. They will be replacing the bottom seat cover for me under warranty since I have the manufacturing wrinkle that seems to come standard with the raptor. I would recommend that anyone taking the vehicle to the dealer for this issue insist that chassis ears are used in the diagnosis process. I'm sure dealers may or may not have chassis ears available and it could be a long process to set up so they avoid it at all costs. When I bring the vehicle back for the shock replacement I am going to insist that this tool be used to make sure the clunk is gone. I'm not sure how they could not hear it then when provided with the SSM come up with replacing only 1 within 2 hours. I'd like to know how they diagnosed that. I am thinking it shows mechanic input in the system of the most commonly replaced shock and they just went with that one as a wild guess??

75F4B932-FFE8-4821-836C-ABF2E9A7F339.jpeg

Last edited:

RedRptr

Reaction score
Follow up: just got a call today. They did a like vehicle comparison and heard more noise than those vehicles. Technician recommended replacement of both rear shocks, still backordered with no date so I will drive it until they come in.

Hopefully others will have a positive resolution as well.

Just dropped my truck off a few days ago (‘22 35” within the blend dates of candidate bad trucks) and today had to go test drive with the tech to point out the noise.

Frustrating to have to baby step through this process with a dealership. The truck is so loud sometimes over bumps and potholes / divets that even the wife asked “what’s wrong with your truck”. Can feel vibration in pedal and wheel. Pretty sure it’s passenger front and both rears, but admitted to service rep and tech that I wasn’t confident in what exactly, so I was hopeful they’d be able to diagnose better with the right tools (chassis ears, NVH diagnosis…)

But the whole time it feels like I have to make them believe I’m not just crazy. Why would I drop my $90k truck off for a week or longer for you to diagnose a problem and not even ask for a loaner or anything? My payment doesn’t stop…and I don’t get to drive a raptor. So just stop with the games and use your diagnostic tools to help me pinpoint the source of the issue.

I even (after the initial call of “we rode in it and didn’t hear anything”) pointed out the SSM 50972 and how this seems to be somewhat prevalent in those trucks within the build date window, but unsure to what degree. I also admitted I’m only looking to get the suspected shocks / components fixed, not trying to fleece ford out of a new 4 corner set (even though god knows we deserve it for the prices these days)….

Rant over. I know some of you deal with much worse but I wish dealers and service centers could have a come to Jesus moment and start treating buyers and future buyers with a modicum of respect and honesty.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Follow up: just got a call today. They did a like vehicle comparison and heard more noise than those vehicles. Technician recommended replacement of both rear shocks, still backordered with no date so I will drive it until they come in.

Hopefully others will have a positive resolution as well.
Damn it. I think I am going to call my service advisor back and ask him to please do both rear instead of just the one.

RedRptr

Reaction score
Damn it. I think I am going to call my service advisor back and ask him to please do both rear instead of just the one.

My advisor said something to the affect of “…under your bumper to bumper…” so you might consider using that language? Just a thought. Hope they get you taken care of!