Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found something interesting just a moment ago. The part numbers on my new front struts don’t match the part numbers on my invoice. Also, if I Google the part numbers from my invoice, the parts catalogs show that those numbers replace the part numbers that are currently installed on my truck.
Got my truck back today with the fronts replaced, so far so good but I only drove it 5miles to the house. The plot does thicken though because I SHOULD have the same part numbers as you since we both have 37” trucks but mine differ in that the new front left is an AQ not an AL, but my front right is AN which supersedes the previous part number AH… now I’m wondering what the heck is the difference between the AQ and AL spec :think:

5AA08230-9BA8-438D-97B3-1D87385C0905.jpeg

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
Got my truck back today with the fronts replaced, so far so good but I only drove it 5miles to the house. The plot does thicken though because I SHOULD have the same part numbers as you since we both have 37” trucks but mine differ in that the new front left is an AQ not an AL, but my front right is AN which supersedes the previous part number AH… now I’m wondering what the heck is the difference between the AQ and AL spec :think:

View attachment 380197
Can you check to see what part numbers are on the new struts?

MyLord

Reaction score
I’m getting the clunk from the front shocks. I’ve got 900 miles on the truck. I’m hoping they don’t give me trouble due to the rpg 1.5” collars on the front.

Anyone in my same situation with the collars?

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
Did you contact your dealer when you realized the part numbers were wrong?
Yea. I had mine in last week. They said they confirmed that the part numbers were the correct or updated parts and they couldn’t hear any clunking. I went for a test drive with the manager after they had looked at my truck and for some reason it seems that once the truck has been lifted off of the ground, the clunk goes away for about 20 miles. That explains why I thought it was fixed at first and why it wasn’t really obvious when I went for a ride with the manager.
I was just about to purchase another strut myself until you posted that you also have an “AH” part number installed.

impactbumper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man what a cluster **** this is becoming. I am sorry guys. I still need to schedule an app with another dealer in my area because the dealer that sold me the truck is actually a circus and ran by clowns

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. I had mine in last week. They said they confirmed that the part numbers were the correct or updated parts and they couldn’t hear any clunking. I went for a test drive with the manager after they had looked at my truck and for some reason it seems that once the truck has been lifted off of the ground, the clunk goes away for about 20 miles. That explains why I thought it was fixed at first and why it wasn’t really obvious when I went for a ride with the manager.
I was just about to purchase another strut myself until you posted that you also have an “AH” part number installed.
My dealer also confirmed that the part number is correct just now. The old struts removed from the truck actually had completely different part numbers. I didn’t check them before they were removed so I wasn’t sure what the part number was. These are the struts that were factory installed and replaced with the new AQ/AH part numbers
CE9677C5-9996-4CED-8E85-69B435E0180A.jpeg
DCC69426-F493-4FBC-A3AF-C2EE7814CD06.jpeg

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man what a cluster **** this is becoming. I am sorry guys. I still need to schedule an app with another dealer in my area because the dealer that sold me the truck is actually a circus and ran by clowns
Ya I hear you. It’s hard enough getting the dealers to approve the work, let alone making sure we’re getting the correct parts installed. It’s really on Ford for not having better communication about what the issue is with the original part and letting dealers know exactly what to look for.