Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SSM actually states it applies to Raptors built on or before June 16, 2022.

You’re right. Not sure where I got April from. Would be interested in hearing from post-June buyers to see if they have the same issue. I tried looking up part numbers to see if they’ve changed but no joy.

DashDog

Reaction score
Mar 2022 build with 2500 miles, clunking started around 1500 and has progressively gotten worse at low speeds (relative-still drives great on the highway). Dropped off at a Ford service center, within a few hours diagnosed to bad front shocks. 2 fronts shocks on order (left should be delivered in a few days, no delivery date on the right shock). Between having some friends with this issue, the SSM, and the lead mech also being a Raptor owner, seemed pretty straightforward. I did reference the SSM when making the appointment to do some leg work and help out. Will let you guys know how it shakes out.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer ordered 2 rear shocks for my truck. Hopefully they fix the clunk, but I would have sworn it was coming from the front and back both. He says they should be in in 7-10 days.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ended up calling the dealer and telling them that I was dropping off the truck, that I wanted them to diagnose regardless of “not being able to duplicate the issue on a test drive.” I was about to go as far as to say that I would pay for any diagnostic labor if it turned out my shocks were fine, but I didn’t need to. Dropped it off and The service adviser texted me a day later and said the two front shocks were on order after diagnosing the originals to be bad.

Would have been easier had they just used chassis ears the first go around but I can understand them not wanting to waste time and money on something a customer might be dreaming is happening. Still, waiting for the new ones to arrive and install, will report back as well.

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
I'm taking mine in for both front struts to be replaced on Monday. As I've been driving it waiting for the parts to come in, I've started to notice it in the rear as well. I've bounced on the rear bumper and can definitely make the noise like in the videos from other people earlier in this thread.
Has anyone had their rear shocks replaced and tried the bounce test afterwards?

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my question is for those who had shocks replaced. Is it going to come back? I.E. are they just replacing with the same defective shocks or does someone have confirmation that they are newly designed shocks. I just got my oil change and told them about the clunking, rattling back window, exhaust rattle, and the noisy fan for the generator. He seemed to be aware of those four issues and I need to schedule a time to drop it off but do not to go prematurely just to have the clunking come back.

How can we find out for sure this is a permanent fix.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So my question is for those who had shocks replaced. Is it going to come back? I.E. are they just replacing with the same defective shocks or does someone have confirmation that they are newly designed shocks. I just got my oil change and told them about the clunking, rattling back window, exhaust rattle, and the noisy fan for the generator. He seemed to be aware of those four issues and I need to schedule a time to drop it off but do not to go prematurely just to have the clunking come back.

How can we find out for sure this is a permanent fix.
That’s why there’s a build date cutoff in the service message. The shocks were revised to correct the issue.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s why there’s a build date cutoff in the service message. The shocks were revised to correct the issue.
Do we know this for a fact though? I tried finding a part number change but I’m not seeing any indication that the current shocks for sale are superseding any previous part. Usually when you purchase a part that’s been revised, it says which part number it supersedes..

As a side note, I’m at raptor assault and the FPR school folks said that they haven’t had to replace anything on their fleet of gen 3 raptors. (Interestingly they said their entire fleet of GT350s had the alternators and AC compressors repeatedly replaced, because of repeated failures.) so glad I sold my GT350..

They also said their GEN3 deliveries ended in July, so a good portion of their fleet should have the same issues but that they don’t daily them so it might be something they’ve missed.

I told them about the SSM and how a number of us have had shock replacement. They asked me to let them know if I experience the same clunk on the truck I’m assigned, they seemed concerned that they could be running these trucks hard with a faulty party. I told them I hadn’t heard of any complete failures just minor annoyances. I’m looking forward to driving another raptor (and tearing up their course).

DashDog

Reaction score
For those that had, or are waiting for their shocks to be replaced, how long did you wait for parts to be delivered? I’ve been waiting a little under two weeks, but still no ETA on the front shocks from the service center.

Last edited: