Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m 99% sure mine is from the front suspension. I can go slowly and it makes the sound when the front end goes over a bump or joint in the concrete. Mine is a 35 truck.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
Shaheen, did dealer require any specific diagnosis in order to place the order for rear shocks? Did Fox have to get involved?
They put a listening device on all suspension parts and drove it. They isolated it to the rear shocks. I swear it sounds like it’s coming from the front. But if you jump up and down on the rear bumper, you can clearly hear it’s the rear shocks. It sounds very close to the video that was posted on this thread. Once they diagnosed the rear shocks were making noise, they ordered the parts. Fox has not gotten involved yet. Right now there is no ETA on the back order getting fulfilled.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
Ya my clunk or whatever you want to call it definitely isn’t that sound. But doesn’t mean it won’t get like that.
You should stand on your rear bumper and jump up and down. From inside driving you would never guess it is the rear shocks, but on mine it is. After Trent posted his video, I went and jumped on the back of mine and it sounds identical. I suspect there is a fairly sizable lot of bad fox shocks out there.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
I’m 99% sure mine is from the front suspension. I can go slowly and it makes the sound when the front end goes over a bump or joint in the concrete. Mine is a 35 truck.
I was 99% certain mine was coming from the front too, but it’s not. Jump on the rear bumper. If you here a clunk sound under the bed, it’s your rear shocks.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was 99% certain mine was coming from the front too, but it’s not. Jump on the rear bumper. If you here a clunk sound under the bed, it’s your rear shocks.

Well maybe you are right! I recorded a video of my clunk as well. I can get the sound to start even bouncing the front end using the bumper or running board but the actual noise is coming from the rear. So I guess that’s why I hear the clunk even when the front suspension hits a bump. Keep us posted if new shocks, whenever you get them fixes it. Hope they don’t say “this is normal for the new rear suspension.”

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    14.4 MB

Thamac15

Reaction score
You should stand on your rear bumper and jump up and down. From inside driving you would never guess it is the rear shocks, but on mine it is. After Trent posted his video, I went and jumped on the back of mine and it sounds identical. I suspect there is a fairly sizable lot of bad fox shocks out there.
Yep, same noise as everyone else. I’ll schedule an Appt to have it looked at.

garrettkite

Reaction score
I also have the same noise. I took it into the dealer who told me they think it's normal. I assured them that it can't be normal and I never had this issue with my gen2. They said they would submit a write-up to Ford so that it can potentially become recall. I would swear that mine is coming from the front end as well, but I'll have to go jump on the rear bumper and see if I can hear it. I feel the vibration through the gas pedal and it drives me absolutely insane.

Chuck D

Reaction score
I have it too. I hear it at low speeds, like parking lots. Went out to the garage and bounced on the rear bumper, it sounds the same as you guys. On 35's

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
I also have the same noise. I took it into the dealer who told me they think it's normal. I assured them that it can't be normal and I never had this issue with my gen2. They said they would submit a write-up to Ford so that it can potentially become recall. I would swear that mine is coming from the front end as well, but I'll have to go jump on the rear bumper and see if I can hear it. I feel the vibration through the gas pedal and it drives me absolutely insane.
I can feel mine in the gas pedal as well....but I bet its the rear shocks. Go jump on the bumper and let us know if you think its something else other than the shocks. Fox must have a faulty part inside a big batch of shocks.