Clunking sound in front end at low speeds when turning steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poser999

Reaction score
Dull clunk sound coming from front end that can be felt in steering wheel. Most noticeable when pulling into a parking spot and cranking the wheel half turn left or right. Its easily repeatable.

2013 with 58000 miles.

I'm about to crawl under it and take a look. Anything in particular that I should be looking for?

OP
OP
poser999

poser999

Reaction score
you may be right. i notice that i can make the creaking sound (not really a clunk) with the truck off and just cranking the steering wheel.

so is the coming loose from the frame that I can tighten or loose internals that need to be replaced?

Guardrail

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I would only feel the clunking when pulling into a parking lot or driveway that had a little bit of a lip higher than the road surface. I changed just about everything in the front end. Including the rack and pinion. Turned out it was the dust shield where the steering column comes through the firewall. There is a bearing in it. It was bone dry. I packed it with grease. Noise was gone.

Squad21

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having a similar issue, was advised my ball joints are shot. This is turning into a money pit. Just serviced the shocks now the ball joints, I hope that's it at least for a while. I thought jeeps were bad.