Clunking...popping...is normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads a out the mysterious clunking sound. So wondering if mine is the same? It's a 17 with 27k miles. I notice at slower speeds, there is a clunk. The sound almost seems like the top of the shock is loose and coming out of the mount and banging back in...if I can explain the sound. Did some very light offroading. Slow speeds. 10mph at most. Felt good, but man...lots of noises. Is this common?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most likely the sway bar end links. You can unhook them from the sway bar and go for a drive. If the noise is gone that is your issue. I’d bet that is what your problem is.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went through same thing and the sway bar end links are the culprit; would bet on it.
Are you replacing with stock ones or aftermarket? I'm shocked at 26k miles I have a worn endlink

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you replacing with stock ones or aftermarket? I'm shocked at 26k miles I have a worn endlink
Don’t be. Mine shitthebed at around the same mileage. Had a bad wheel bearing at 30k miles too. AFAIK there are no aftermarket solutions.

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw these up for preorder and I was planning on grabbing them once they're available.

I messaged them to see how long out they are because otherwise, I might just make them up myself on the lathe.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same issue about same mileage on my driver sway bar link. Took me forever to figure it out.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this on my drivers side (only took off road one and would be a stretch to even consider it any kind of off-roading) they replaced upper control arm and bushings.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to this issue. Wasn't the sway bars. Turns out the top nut of my shocks were extremely loose. Had to tighten the nuts back down. All fixed.