Clunk upon start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJLbkl

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced an audible "clunk" sound upon starting. This happens sometimes when cold but more often when warm. Today it was very loud and sounded like it came from the rear of the vehicle. It is definitely not cam phaser, as i have heard that and had it replaced.

mikehawncho

Reaction score
My ‘19 makes a sound very similar to the one you’re describing. I haven’t been able to figure it out yet either.

skidmarcx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard mine clunk twice since I bought it a month ago, warm start only and definitely was from the engine area, I suspect phaser but it’s a guess

17’ with now 29k miles, Carfax shows it had a reflash already for the rattle, but no hard parts replaced yet.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen1 used to do this as well. Maybe 3-5 secs upon starting. I assumed it was something to do with the a/c compressor clutch engaging, or maybe the thermostat opening, or maybe even the fans turning on, to maybe even Something with the fuel pump.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve heard mine clunk twice since I bought it a month ago, warm start only and definitely was from the engine area, I suspect phaser but it’s a guess

17’ with now 29k miles, Carfax shows it had a reflash already for the rattle, but no hard parts replaced yet.

Phasers don’t clunk. Sounds like it may be the normal sound of the starter drive gear retracting.

skidmarcx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phasers don’t clunk. Sounds like it may be the normal sound of the starter drive gear retracting.
I had a 17’ in my shop for phasers, 80k miles on it, one of the phasers had a sheared pin causing the cam to make a loud clunk when you rotate the engine over, reminded me of that