Clunk in rear while driving in reverse...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THIS IS NOT THE DRIVESHAFT CLUNK

Now that that's been said, here is something new that's been developing on my truck and I really don't know if it's always been there and I'm just now hearing it or if it's a new thing.

Alright...

I back into the garage. Before I get into the garage, I hit the incline up the driveway while I'm reversing back and turning the front wheels to the right. When the truck shimmies from the whatever, hitting the incline, going in reverse and whatnot -- I hear a clunk as to what would sound like a bad bearing. You know in the old days when you'd grab a tire and try to pull the axle out of the carrier. That click/clunk sound.

It does this only in reverse (that I am aware of) and while going straight or turning either direction. I cannot get any noises, sounds, feelings or anything doing anything else. This truck is SOLID.

I'm almost thinking it could be my tonneau cover (BakFlip F1) making the noise, but I think I can FEEL it in my ass, though the seat when it happens. It's only ONE clunk, one click.

Anyone experience this? Perhaps we can get a bunch of Raptor owners to go for a drive in reverse. :)

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Odd though, is it only on an incline to, or flat ground as well
I think I hear it all the time in reverse. We have an abandoned runway on base that I'll play around on today. If my phone will pick it up, I'll get a video.
Shoulda kept the 2010.:nutkick:
'Eh, I am way more than pleased with the 2011 over the 2010. I just hope that the 2012's don't make me go for it again!

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I have a similar (from your descrip) sound, but only with 4wheel engaged (high or low, no matter). Tech has looked at it, replaced crap, but no dice.
Now, in 4 wheel, it almost feels like the drivetrain is bound up, like something isn't synchro'd.
This problem was evident in April, months before I had the driveshaft replaced, when I was playing in Nevada with NV Guy.
Ford's basically at a loss, until I really break it so there's parts hanging out - then it will be a warranty replacement (after I wash the dirt off).

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alrighty, I took this thing to the dealer and just threw my hands up in the air and was like "WTF".

I also had them look at my SYNC Issues while I was there. (They fixed that too).

Anyway, I see the guy driving the truck around in the back in their lot and not only does the Raptor look good and sound good -- it really needs a perch adjustment or something. Maybe if 'Tizz isn't using his spacers, I'll get his since I never off-road mine and don't worry about droop or whatever.

Anyway, he can't get it to make the noise. He comes and gets me and I drive. I make it make the noise (go figure) and he says they'll toss it in the air and see what's what. At the same time, I toss him $15 singles from the strip club and get a tire rotation so I don't have to bust my balls doing it.

He comes and gets me out of the waiting room and wants to show me what he did.

MOST OF ALL THE BOLTS THAT WERE VITAL TO SUSPENSION WERE ABLE TO BE TIGHTENED AT LEAST ONE FULL TURN.

Not that that's all THAT major, but still. Also, he pointed out where the spacer block was moving around! Shit boss hoss, that be no bueno, yeah?

So anyway, I drove home and think I heard ONE more clunk in the rear, but definitely not as many as I had prior. Secondly, he was able to tighten up DRIVESHAFT BOLTS as well.

So, ya'll might wanna get under there and check it out. U-Joint bolts, upper and lower shock mount bolts and shit like that.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, I took this thing to the dealer and just threw my hands up in the air and was like "WTF".

I also had them look at my SYNC Issues while I was there. (They fixed that too).

Anyway, I see the guy driving the truck around in the back in their lot and not only does the Raptor look good and sound good -- it really needs a perch adjustment or something. Maybe if 'Tizz isn't using his spacers, I'll get his since I never off-road mine and don't worry about droop or whatever.

Anyway, he can't get it to make the noise. He comes and gets me and I drive. I make it make the noise (go figure) and he says they'll toss it in the air and see what's what. At the same time, I toss him $15 singles from the strip club and get a tire rotation so I don't have to bust my balls doing it.

He comes and gets me out of the waiting room and wants to show me what he did.

MOST OF ALL THE BOLTS THAT WERE VITAL TO SUSPENSION WERE ABLE TO BE TIGHTENED AT LEAST ONE FULL TURN.

Not that that's all THAT major, but still. Also, he pointed out where the spacer block was moving around! Shit boss hoss, that be no bueno, yeah?

So anyway, I drove home and think I heard ONE more clunk in the rear, but definitely not as many as I had prior. Secondly, he was able to tighten up DRIVESHAFT BOLTS as well.

So, ya'll might wanna get under there and check it out. U-Joint bolts, upper and lower shock mount bolts and shit like that.

Wow... that is significant clampload loss!!! And all the fasteners have locktite... If anyone else has this problem they should have the dealer check breakaway torque to see what the torque first before they re-tighten. Record it so the customer rep can see this. This should never happen unless you very abusive...

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kind of going along with my findings on the control arm nut huh? Hmmmm....

Yeah no kidding! I wonder what's going on these days at the factory... Maybe they were using Wednesday air tools instead of Friday air tools. lol.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah no kidding! I wonder what's going on these days at the factory... Maybe they were using Wednesday air tools instead of Friday air tools. lol.

They no longer use air its all DC nut runners Stanley, Powermax Altas Copco

Last edited: